Chapter thirty three

Chapter 33

Tife won. Unsurprisingly. I was mostly happy because he was back to his old self. He wasn't broody or angry. He was just Tife. The same man I fell in love with, twice in my twenty five years on earth.

He carried me and twirled me around. My eyes widened. I didn't expect him to be that excited over a small win. Putting me down,  he spoke. "You owe me something. I won."

"Did you? It didn't look like it."

His smile remained smug. "Really? Maybe you need to see it on the CCTV camera. Just for verification."

"It's nice to see that arrogant side of you again."

"Arrogant? Me? You must have me mixed up with someone else. I'm a gentle soul."

"I'm pretty sure I know only one Boluwatife Johnson."

.

"That's a very common name. Maybe that's where the mix up came in." He teased.

I scoffed. He sobered up. "Let's go to LA Plaza together?"

I blinked. "The restaurant? What happened to keeping things platonic?"

"It's as platonic as it can get. Tomorrow night?"

I eyed him cautiously. "Tomorrow night."

Victor's voice turned steely as he called out my name, drawing closer. "Can I talk to you for a second?"

Tife's face hardened. "Since when do you two have conversations together?"

Victor smirked. "Getting protective already? It's only a second. I need to ask her something."

I smiled at Tife. "It's cool. Victor and I have a convo to finish anyway. Stay here."

.....

Victor paced around slowly. He raised his eye level on mine, and spoke. "I see you've been busy lately."

I looked at him. He knew. Of course he knew. Aline must have told him. Her damn big aristocratic mouth must have spilled the beans. How could she be damn so loyal to him? "What do you mean by that?"

His lips curled up. "Don't act so coy. You know what I'm talking about?"

I narrowed my eyes. I wasn't in the mood for any reverse psychology from a half wit lawyer. "If you're not going to open your mouth and talk, then I'm leaving."

I didn't hesitate to turn around and leave, until I felt a grip on my hand. I turned my head to glare at him.  "Get your hands off me."

Victor raised his hands in, "Fine. You win. Well done. You figured out who I am. Congratulations. I always suspected you knew. You were damn too petty with your little tricks and when Aline called to tell me what you were up to, I was truly impressed. Congratulations again, Nancy Drew. You won."

"If I truly won, you'd be out of her life already."

His stupid face held a smug smile. "Then why aren't I?"

I swallowed. He clearly knew why. "I just needed to be sure about you first."

Victor wagged a finger in my face. "No. That's not why. You need to admit to yourself the truth. It's good for the soul."

"What would a married man whore of a gigolo/disgrace of a lawyer, know about the truth?"

His face hardened. He took a dangerous step forward. I didn't budge. I kept my face still and my head high. "Wanna hear a truth. I actually like Imade. She's the type of woman I like. Vulnerable, open and so damn rich. Do you know why she doesn't know about my past? Because I really like her. It doesn't seem like it, but it's true and it's all thanks to your brilliant match making skills."

I spat. "You're married."

He shrugged. "Since when is polygamy a crime around here? Besides, my wife is very much aware of how I get my money. She's in full support, so your opinions don't matter to me."

"So that's how you want to start a relationship with her? By lying to her?"

Victor cocked his head. "Isn't that the same thing you're doing? Lying to her?"

"I am protecting her." I coughed out the words.

"No, you're a coward. A coward that's too afraid to face the damn consequences and that's what I love about you. Your cowardice is going to help me scale through in this relationship."

I stared at him. Was I a coward?  I was protecting her, right? Or was I just protecting myself from the worst? "No you're the coward for hiding behind a fake life."

"No. I'm a hustler." He winked at me. I frowned. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have a beach house to get into."