Chapter fourteen

A loud scream and continuous deep timbre shrills rattled from the next house and had me laughing uncontrollably. That unmistaken semi-masculine voice was undoubtedly Victor's, and he must have had a taste of my very effective itching powder.

My phone rang, pulling me out of my intense laughter. I smiled softly, when I saw the caller ID. "What's up, Johnson?"

Tife's amused voice, made me smile a little wider. "I'm guessing you heard Victor's loud scream."

"It was like music to my ears. A true delight."

"Let me guess. Itching powder?" I didn't realize how soothing his voice was, on the phone. It felt like it was loosening nerves in my body and putting thrill through my mind.

"It seems you've solved the mystery, my dear Padawan."

"Considering how much he's scratching his body, it was an easy guess." His chuckles tickled my insides.  Why am I reacting so weirdly to Tife?  Which kind wahala be this, sef?

"How's everyone's reaction?" The amusement in my voice died down, as I tried to fight the feelings racing around my thoughts

"It's annoying my dad even more. Mom's still finding everything funny. Imade looks pissed, but she's not saying anything. We're taking him to a pharmacist to buy some drugs. Wanna come?"

"I think I'll stay out of this for a while. Let him relax and think his troubles are over, so I can move on to part two."

"How many phases did you plan for this week?" I could sense the smile etched on his lips.

"Five phases, and phase two is almost over."

"Just give me a hint on what's coming next. So I don't laugh so hard, when I see it. Wouldn't want to piss Imade off even more than I did today. I laughed way too hard. I almost wished I didn't."

"Poor baby. Do you need a hug?"

Tife's words rumbled out huskily. My toes curled at his unintentional sultry words.  "Wouldn't mind that. Along with info on your next phase."

My sexual tension with him over the phone was putting me at the edge. I really needed to get my shit together. My voice evened out. "I'll give you a hint. How does Viagra overdose sound to you?"

Tife's laughter rumbled out again. I could totally picture him sitting down and laughing as heartily as he is now. "You really are a crazy devil. You really are."

........
"What color of dress are you deciding on?" I asked, when I parked my car outside Imade's recent favorite store. The D'lite. I found their outfits way too expensive, but Imade seemed to like it more because it's run by Pero Delight, Imade's former high school classmate.

"I haven't decided yet. Any color but black would do."

"Are you kidding me? Black looks hot on you." I shot her a look. Black's an elegant color that works well with anyone.

Her nose crinkling, almost like she was imagining how it'd look like on her. "Victor doesn't think so."

I tightened my fists on the steering wheel, holding back every morsel of annoyance, in my blood. "Well sometimes you need to make some decisions for yourself."

Imade turned her head sharply. "You promised to stop. To end this pointless dislike for Victor. He's not going anywhere and you're my best friend. I can't imagine my best friend and boyfriend not getting along, because my best friend doesn't like him."

My eyelids shut briefly and I released a slow sigh. Tife was right. I needed to get my act together, if I didn't want to get caught. This needed to be perfect. I opened my eyes and wore a perfect smile. "I like him. I really do. It was just a moment of relapse. I'm not so good at trusting and I'm taking it out on you. He's an okay guy. If he makes you happy, then I'm happy."

Her smile faltered, and I immediately noticed it. "Thank you."

My voice softened. "Is he not making you happy?"

She laughed softly. It wasn't convincing, but I let her continue with it. "Seriously you're over thinking things. I'm as happy as can be, and it's all because of you. I'm grateful for that and I never thought I needed it. So thank you again for finding my one true love for me."

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat and put up the most ingenuine smile I could muster. I really hated being reminded that my nosy ass caused this, but surprisingly, it was also my motivation to end things between them. "I wasn't trying to help you find your one true love. I was making you end a bad habit" Her eyebrows drew together, like she was trying to figure what I meant, but I didn't give her the chance to dwell on that. "Let's just pick out your dress already. Today's a busy day. We have so much planned for today."

We walked into Pero's lavish store and met her having a screaming match with an employee. I rolled my eyes at that. Typical Pero. Always acting like some kind of superior intellect, when in reality she was far from it. It wasn't that I didn't like Pero. She's Imade's "friend", but every time she spoke, all I could hear were the words of a phony human being, and it irritated me how easily Imade liked having Pero around.

Pero turned around and her beautiful face brightened up, when she saw us coming inside. Scratch that. Her beautiful face lightened up when her eyes ONLY glued on Imade, when she walked inside. Pero practically hugged her and also pushed me aside in the process. I couldn't complain. It would seem petty, and that was the last thing I needed Imade to see me as.

Pero's light pink lips turned her smile into something smug, when her gaze met mine. Her silky black hair styled in a fringe covered her eyebrows, giving her an exotic look. Her light brown skin has a particular hue to it. She really was taking care of her self because she looked so damn beautiful. From the simple beige dress on her body, to the black pumps on her feet, everything made her look amazing. "Nara. Good to see you."

"You too. I like what you've done with your store. It's great."

"A hardworking woman has to put her all, in her work, if she wants to let it become known. You should know, since you run a really small company."

I scoffed. "It's sweet that you're comparing a company I grew on my own for the past five years on my own, to a store you opened because your rich husband could afford opening it for you."

"You are always so serious about things. I was only joking." She rolled her eyes.

Imade chuckled. "She is. Pero always had a brazen sense of humour, but she means well. You know that."

I scoffed again. Brazen sense of humor? The right words to describe her were condescending and calculating. "You're right. She has one hell of a sense of humor." Pero smirked slightly, but I looked away. "Pick out an outfit, will you? My mom's expecting me pretty soon."

"Fine, fine. I'll make it quick. I promise to be super fast." Once Pero was out of earshots, she whispered. "Sorry about Pero."

"It's okay. Let's just get this over with."