Chapter 24: The Truth Comes Out

Chapter 24:

My dad.

My father.

My flesh and blood.

"What?" I gasped. I remembered his blue eyes connecting with mine.

Identical to mine.

No, it couldn't be.

It was...unreal.

"I-I'm sorry I kept it from you...H-he's a dangerous man." Mum said.

Dangerous?

Yeah no duh. He tried to strangle me. Now my question was:

Why?

Why was he following me around?

Why has he been trailing me for the past five years?

Why did he want to kill me?

"That doesn't explain why he's been stalking me for the past five years! It also doesn't explain why he tried to kill me!" I said.

Mum sighed and rubbed her temples. She crossed her legs, then uncrossed them. She pushed her hair back and sighed once more. She gulped. "Y-your father made a bet with his friend, his sick sick friend, that if I ever had another child he'd get one million five hundred pounds from his friend. It was just a sick bet, but your father was a greedy greedy man. He wanted money."

She paused and took a long deep breath before continuing.

"I don't believe in abortion so when I got pregnant I didn't know what to do. I told your father and he told his friend. By then, he had already received the money. His friend said that the only way that he could keep the money was to either abort the baby or wait a-and kill it."

KILL IT?

ME?

"Your dad didn't care about that. He wanted the money! He promised to do as his friend said...I tried hiding too. I hid from him. When you were born, I gave you to Aunt Beth immediately. I told your father I had a miscarriage. We divorced later on. Somehow, he found out about you and wasn't going to break his promise. He was a bad man, but he didn't break a promise." Mum sighed. "That's why he's still after you."

"Th-that's insane!" I gasped. "I'm in danger because of a bet made eighteen years ago? He just wants money?" I paced around the room. "A f#cking bet!" I screamed. I didn't care that I was swearing in front of my mother. Right now, I really couldn't care less about anything.

"Honey, I gave you to Aunt Beth to keep you safe. Away from him." She said.

"I know it was all for the best, but when you and him divorced, couldn't you have taken me back?"

"Rosie, it wasn't safe. We still lived in the same city." She explained.

"So basically what you're telling me is that my own flesh and blood is out to kill me?" I asked.

Mum played with her fingers. "Yes?" It came out sounding more like a question than an answer.

"I-he-money? MONEY?" I shrieked.

I was being trailed by my own father because he made a stupid bet. A really stupid bet.

"He agreed because he thought one child was enough. He almost made me abort Louis too." She said, tears were at the brim of her eyes.

"He's out to kill me. Why can't he just break one tiny little bet."

Little bet.

Yeah right.