forty four

A/N: important kind of thing at the very end of the authors note in this chapter so read that please
-
Daniella

“Luke?” I called, loud enough to have my voice echo throughout the apartment Luke and I liked to call ours.

“Yeah babe?” he responded, and the sound of his footsteps ascended until he was standing a few inches away from me in our bedroom.

“Have you seen that fluorescent green bra of mine? Oh and, is this dress alright? I know that I met your parents the other night but this is a bit different, and I don’t know… Is your mum wearing a dress? Or something casual? Do you think I should wear jeans inst-” I rambled, until he insisted upon interrupting me.

“Dans?” he spoke, “Yeah?”, “Shut up.” he laughed.

I pouted, clutching the towel around me. 

“That dress is fine babe, stop stressing so much because they already love you. Okay? And your bra is probably in the basket, I’ll go check” he continued before leaving the room.

I laughed softly although he couldn’t hear me, smiling at his words and the serious expression worn on his face whilst he spoke them.

It was 5:00pm and the two of us were getting ready for dinner, as his family and my dad were all coming over for dinner. Despite the fact that I had already met all of his family the night where Luke serenaded me, and that I got along perfectly well with them all, I still felt the familiar feeling in the pit of my stomach signalling my nerves were intact. 

Previously, I only spoke to them briefly. But tonight, well that was a different story. They’d be bombarding me with questions, trying to figure out if I was fitting for their son. In saying that, I really couldn’t blame them, because with all they went through with Luke, of course they’d only want the best for him. I’d do the exact same in their shoes, I wouldn’t want the son I only just earned back in my life to suddenly become broken because of a stupid girl.

Although he barely showed it today, I could tell that Luke was nervous too. He covered up his nerves by trying to soothe mine. That was something I really admired about him, he was able to push aside the emotions he was feeling whether they be negative or positive, in order to put someone’s emotions he cares about in front of his. Although I’d like to say I can do the same, it’s something I’ve always had difficulty doing.

Even though Luke had met my dad many times before, tonight was going to be different. Dad was going to have the opportunity to grill Luke and make sure his intentions were right, although I know dad already knew that. Things in the past with dad and Luke were never good, especially when dad discovered his dangerous side at that specific time. But things changed, and dad came to see that both Luke and I had grown extremely attached to one another and had fallen deep in love. I think it took dad a while to accept that, and hell, maybe he’s still working on doing so. But he put my feelings before his, and put on a smile. Because if I was happy, he would be too. I still felt pretty bad for leaving dad at home by himself, as I had officially moved in with Luke now. But I’m pretty sure dad’s girlfriend was moving in with him soon, and I couldn’t be happier to know he would no longer be alone.

His girlfriend’s name is Amanda and quite frankly, she was lovely. I had dinner with her and dad the other night, and she is one of the nicest people I have ever met. She also has a great sense of humour and that’s exactly what my dad needs in a girl. I’m overjoyed to know that my dad has been spending so much time with such an amazing person, and to be real — he deserves it. He deserves to live the rest of his years with a lovely person like Amanda by his side.

Since I had been so lost in my thoughts, I was startled when Luke re-entered the room — almost dropping the towel around my body which caused him to laugh.