Episode 21

The Great Escapist

Crowley: So, it's three trials. Three trials and the Winchesters get to lock the door on me. Ha! You. Fake Sam. If you're gonna tip our hand, I'll have to scrub Kevin's short-term memory again. And that's risky, so watch the patois in there.

Demon Sam: Patois?

Crowley: Your slang. Special K, nose to the God-stone, that's the way Dean speaks. Sam is... more basic, more sincere. Remember, I want two distinct, authentic characterizations.

Dean: Alright, here we go. John Winchester's famous cure-all kitchen sink stew. There you go. Enough cayenne pepper in there to burn your lips off, just like dad used to make.

Sam: This isn't a cold. Or a fever, or whatever it is you're supposed to feed. This is part of it all. Those first two trials... they're not just things I did. They're doing something to me. They're changing me, Dean.

Kevin: Sam, Dean. I've set up this message with some software on a remote server so it'd send itself to you if I didn't reset it with a command once a week. Which means I didn't reset it this week. And there's only one reason I wouldn't. Which means if you're watching this, then I- then I- I'm dead. I'm dead, you bastards! So screw you, screw God and everybody in between! Crowley must've gotten to me. And the one thing I know is that I won't break this time. Not sure how I know, but- but I do. I've been uploading all my notes, the translations, I'm sending you the links so you can get all of it. You guys are gonna have to try to figure out the rest. I'm sorry. I know it was my job, but I- but I couldn't... I'm sorry.

Perry: I swear to God, Lance, the guy just disappeared.

Lance: You on that crack again, Perry?

Naomi: Ion, tell me you have good news.

Ion: He's using a clever tactic. It's a restaurant called Biggerson's The Humans have built hundreds of them, almost exactly alike.

Naomi: What are you talking about?

Ion: It's their sameness. Casiel is using it against us. Now, we try to orient ourselves, but it's as if we're in every Biggerson's at once, trapped in a quantum superposition. Now, he chooses which to go to next, that's what's giving him the edge.

Naomi: You're saying that you can't catch him.

Ion: There's, there's just so many Biggerson's.

Naomi: Very well. You say he can't be caught? Then we will simply have to make him stop.

Naomi: You're the famous spanner in the works. Honestly, I think you came off the line with a crack in your chassis. You have never done what you were told . Not completely. You don't even die right, do you? Where is the angel tablet, Castiel?

Sam: Hey, you remember when uh... when dad took us to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, on that pack-mule ride?

Dean: The what?

Sam: And your, uh.. your mule kept farting, just... l- letting go, like, gale force?

Dean: Dude, you were like, four years old. I barely remember that.

Sam: You rode a farty donkey.

Sam: What, you really haven't heard of us? What kind of angel are you, we're- we're the freaking Winchesters.

Crowley: You little prat. Having fun yet?

Kevin: Screw you.

Crowley: Am I seeing this? How did you figure it out?

Kevin: It started when they forgot the secret knock. But really, it- it was the way they acted. I don't think on their best day Sam and Dean would go into town and get me a barbecue dinner, not when the leftover burritos in the fridge.

Crowley: So... my demons were too polite?

Kevin: Yeah.

Crowley: Well, I'll be a son of a whore.

Metatron: I'm not one of them. I'm not an archangel. Really more run-of-the-mill. I worked in the secretarial pool before God chose me to take down the Word. Anyway, he... seemed very worried about his work, what would happen to it when he left, so he had me write down the instructions. Then, he was gone. After that, the archangels took over. And they cried, and they wailed. They wanted their father back. I mean, we all did. But then- then they started to scheme. The archangels decided if they couldn't have Dad, they'd take over the universe themselves. But they couldn't do anything that big without the Word of God. So I began to realize, maybe they would realize... they needed me.

Ion: You soldiers, down in the garrison, at least they let you believe the lie. Upstairs, working for Naomi, working in intelligence, we had no option but to live in the dirt. She never reset me completely. I always knew too much, I had to- I had to do my job.

Dean: So you have been holed up here, or, or, or in a wigwam, or before that in some cave, listening to stories, reading books?

Metatron: And it was something to watch. What you brought to His Earth, all the mayhem, the murder. Just the raw, wild invention of God's naked apes... it was mind-blowing. But really- really, it was your storytelling. That is the true flower of free will. At least as you've mastered it so far. When you create stories, you become gods, of tiny, intricate dimensions unto themselves. So many worlds! I have read... as much as it's possible for an angel to read, and I haven't caught up.

Metatron: You really intend on closing the doors of Hell?

Dean: Seems like the thing to do, don't it?

Metatron: It's your choice. And that's what this has all been about, the choices your kind make. But you're gonna have to weight that choice. Ask yourself, what is it going to take to do this, and what will the world be after it's done?

Dean: Cure a demon. Okay, ignoring the fact that I have no idea what that actually means, if we- if we do this, you get better, right? I mean, you stop trying to cough up a lung, and, and, and bumping into furniture?

Sam: I feel better, yeah, um, just having a direction move in.

Dean: Well, good, cause where we're headed doesn't sound like a picnic.

Sam: But we're heading somewhere. The end.