4. House on the Hill

On Saturday the sisters skipped into town and hurried across the track onto the platform. A few other children from their area had already arrived and sat at the depot eating ice-cream from waffle cones. Providence and Ottaline hurried over to the apothecary and went inside. The establishment always smelled of ginger and sugar and today was no acceptation. Mr. Drakes seemed to have ordered extra candy in preparation for the celebrations in a week.

Ottaline rumbled through the pocket of her pinafore and went up to the counter. "Good morning, Mr. Drakes," she greeted. "I would like a bag of candy please. The green ones."

Mr. Drakes gave an annoyed grumble then turned to fill a bag with the requested sweets. A train rumbled by making the jars on the shelf tinker as they knocked together.

"You ought to consider moving your store, Drakes." A male customer said, "At least before an accident happens."

"I have thought about it," Mr. Drakes said wiping his hand on his bulging apron. "But this is the only convenient spot." He rolled the air out of the bag and passed it to Ottaline who put her money down on the counter then hurried out of the pharmacy with her sister.

"Shame you have to serve them," the customer said. "Someone should have long ago told them they don't belong in Drinking Water."

/

Franklin Smith stood in the doorway of the hilltop mansion next to John Sabbath and Hattie. The dark haired man crossed his arms and shook his head as the automobile unloaded in the yard. One man and nine dogs filled the yard among luggage bags as the driver struggled to please all ten.

"So it's been ten months already," Franklin said. "If only I had a clock to turn back time."

"Remember, Mr. Franklin we are not here to let our feelings show," Mr. Sabbath said.

"Aye," said Hattie. "If I were showing my feelings right now I'd had fainted. Nothing gives me the creeps more than Master Ishmael...not other than Richmond Wood."

Ally came up behind them. "Great, now we have to tend to all three of them."

Hattie turned to join her inside the house as the men went out to greet Ishmael. "Times like this make me wish I had never left New York with Miss Carmichael...back when she was Miss Carmichael. But I was just a little urchin and she took me in and taught me how to be a ladies maid. She taught reading and figuring too and I felt I owed her."

"Are your parents well?" Ally asked.

"Aye," Hattie said. "I want so badly for them to come over from the old country only not to this house...never to this house."

Ishmael took each of his dogs by their leashes as Mr. Sabbath and Franklin Smith approached him.

"Welcome back, Master Ishmael." Mr. Sabbath greeted shaking the man's hand. "How was Europe?"

"Lovely," Ishmael replied looking up at the house. "It is good to be home though." He passed the leashes to Franklin who was immediately yanked away by the nine large dogs. Ishmael watched the thin man struggle but didn't intervene. "I hope everything is running in top order. He removed his goggles and gloves.

"Of course it is!" Mr. Sabbath said taking up two of the luggage bags. "We have everything ready for you; as dust free as you left it."

They entered the house and Ishmael looked around. Franklin and Mr. Sabbath held their breaths as he scrutinized the foyer and then the two maids that stood at the base of the stairs. "Hattie your apron has a spot on it." His voice broke the silence.