2. Wild Wood Lake

Ottaline plunged the jar into the lake then held the murky contents up to the sun. She then emptied it out and continued the search.

Providence swatted at a bug as she wove grasses into a crown where she sat. Shielding her eyes she watched Ottaline turn in circles in the water. "Maybe it's too hot for them," she said.

Ottaline emptied the jar back into the lake and made her way to the shore. Putting it back in the tackle box she wiped her forehead. "Maybe. We could try around the old oak. It's always shady."

Providence agreed and got to her feet. Picking up the tackle box she followed Ottaline around the lake. The Wild Wood surrounded them on all sides made up of oaks and pines. Here the smell of the sea was strong as it was carried in through the woods over the rocky Carolina shore.

The old oak was familiar to all the children of Drinking Water. Some boys had even tied a rope on one of its branches so they could swing out far into the lake. The oak grew around a large boulder that sat halfway in the lake. Sometimes the children told stories that it was the gateway to terrible things.

Ottaline dropped one of her stockings as they came upon the boulder. Providence stopped to wait for her and as she was picking it up a shot rang out sending them both ducking into the shrubs.

"What was that?" Providence asked.

"Shhh," Ottaline warned. Slowly she poked her head up only to hear another shot followed quickly by a splash. "Sound like someone is shooting." Getting down on her hands and knees she crawled out from their hiding spot up to the bolder. Slowly she stood and peeked around it out to the lake.

Providence waited for her to come running back but Ottaline crouched down and stared in the direction of the lake. Giving up waiting, Providence crawled out of the grass joining her behind the bolder. When another shot rang out she flattened herself against the tree roots.

"Rovy, you have to see this," Ottaline said.

"If I see it, it might be the last thing I see," Providence said from her hiding place. "What is it?"

Ottaline looked down at her and shook her head. "It's nothing to be afraid of, come look."

Providence sucked her teeth and got to her feet. Slowly she poked her head around the raised roots encompassing the bolder. Down below the rising bank, beyond the pond weed, at the edge of the shallows stood a shirtless man. He twirled his pistol in his hand, took aim and fired.

Providence shook her head. "What short of madness..."

"That's Master Jude," Ottaline said crouching down a little lower. "I knew he was mad."

"Obviously," Providence said, "Anyone who swims in their Sunday best can't be sane."

Ottaline chuckled. "With all the money that family has I don't think clothes are a problem." She stepped forward and Providence grabbed the hem of her dress.

"What are you doing?"

"Do you see his skin, Rovy?" Ottaline said. "It's just like Ally said, tattoos all over. I want to get a closer look."

"He might shoot you."

"Why would he shoot a little girl?" Ottaline said grinning big and making Providence pout. "I just want to get a little closer. You can stay up here if you want."