32. Mapping the Underworld

Idris watched in amazement as the wall of the mausoleum slid open. Trap doors to him were meant to be things of books but here he was staring at one. He and Providence approached it and he peered inside.

"You just push against it to close it," Providence said. "You'll see a door in the floor on the opposite side. It's very dark though."

"I came prepared," Idris said taking the bulging lantern out of his messenger bag. He stepped inside the tomb and lit it, casting everything in an orange glow. Suddenly he felt someone bump into him and turned around to see Providence.

"I heard someone coming," she whispered.

Idris rushed over to the door and pushed his weight against it. As Providence said it slid back into place with a thud. "Let's hope they didn't see or hear anything," he said.

"But how shall I get out?" Providence asked.

Idris smiled. "It looks like you're with me for the long haul," he said going over to the hole in the floor.

Providence looked around the room. Spiders covered much of the niches with their webs but she could still see the wooden coffins tucked neatly into them. One had a rotted hole in it and she feared any minute something was going to crawl out. She rushed over to the hole in the floor where Idris was already disappearing.

Once he was down he helped her and they stood against the wall. He held the lantern up and looked down the long dark tunnel.

"What do we do?" Providence asked. "Ottaline and I only made it to the Richmonds' house."

Idris pointed ahead. "We follow the tunnels," he said. "Do you think you can remember which one leads to the Richmonds' home?"

Providence nodded as she watched him take out a note book. "What's that for?"

"We are here to map the tunnels," Idris said. "We will begin with the one leading to the Richmonds' house." He nodded and gave her the lantern. "Lead the way." As they walked Idris traced the main tunnel and made marks of others that deviated from the course.

When they reached what he marked as Richmond house tunnel they stopped and turned around.

"Judging by the direction of the other tunnels one must go toward town and the other toward the sea. We'll have to take a look still."

They walked back the way they had come until they reached another tunnel off the side of the first. Providence raised the lantern and the light flickered in a soft breeze coming up the shaft. "Do you feel that?"

"I do," Idris said. He had to stoop down to get through the mouth of the tunnel but once in he could stand to his full height. "Come along now, Providence," he said. "We have yet to find another way out."

Providence shuttered and followed Idris into the tunnel. As they walked on a strange wet smell began to surround them and the dirt that made up the walls of the tunnel changed.

When Idris felt his foot bump something he stopped and squatted down.

"What is it?" Providence asked holding the lantern further his way.

"Timber," Idris answered. "Burnt timber." He stood up and looked up the tunnel. Just ahead it rose higher and ended. At its end were stacks of branches bundled up against the wall. He went over to the bundles and rumbled through them. "Dry enough for kindling, that's for sure," he said over his shoulder.