18. Row Your Boat

Sunday came as usual and Idris along with Granville took a walk of Sabbath Cemetery. They tried to confirm Providences suspensions but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. They searched for hours and finally departed with Granville leaving flowers on his family's graves.

/

On Monday the girls attended to their lessons. After the usual lessons they worked on their sewing. Ottaline's pansies were now a handkerchief and Providence's bunnies went on to a pillow. When schooling ended Ottaline jumped up from her seat.

"I have a surprise for you today, Rovy!"

Providence slowly put her pillow aside. "Should I be afraid?"

Ottaline laughed. "No silly it's a good surprise. Just get your boater hat and change into the plaid dress I made you then meet me in the copse."

Providence did as her sister instructed and went upstairs to change. Ottaline hurried through the house and knocked on the open parlor door where Mr. Idris and Mr. Heritage sat. Granville checked his watch.

"Finished already?" he asked as she strolled into the room.

"Yes, sir!" Ottaline said. "May we still go?"

"You may," Granville said. "But mind the sky and don't row beyond the twin oaks." He held up a finger. "There the stream goes to the ocean."

"Yes, sir, I promise to be very careful," Ottaline said.

"And be back within an hour and a half," Granville added.

"We will, sir," Ottaline said. "Good bye, Mr. Heritage, good bye Mr. Idris." She skipped out of the door and met Providence at the back of the house. "Come on," she said hurrying in the direction of the copse.

When the sisters reached the grove of trees Ottaline took Providence through them and down the bank to the boat house. The sailboat was put away but a little rowboat was moored at the dock.

"What are we doing here?" Providence asked as Ottaline went ahead of her.

"Mr. Heritage said we could take the rowboat on the creek," she said. "Come on help me get it untied."

"But we've never been out by ourselves," Providence said joining her sister on the dock. She looked around the tall mossy trees that shaded the amber colored creek. Berry bushes tangled in the grass where small animals nibbled at them. "I don't feel safe."

"We'll be fine," Ottaline insisted. "Mr. Heritage gave me very clear instructions not to row to close to the twin oaks because there we'd be too close to the sea." She finally got one rope freed and tossed it in the boat.

Providence looked in at the coiled rope among the tackle box and mason jars. She could tell that Ottaline had planned this all out. She had even packed sandwiches. Not wanting to disappoint her sister she helped her free the boat the rest of the way then they each got in and took an oar. They sat facing the stern just as they had been shown and with slow lifts and strokes they rowed down the creek.

As they floated under the canopy Ottaline opened the basket and served watercress sandwiches and pink lemonade. The girls put on airs and laughed at how ridiculous they looked. When lunch was finished they took out the mason jars and scooped up samples of the cool clear water. Providence caught two bugs and Ottaline managed to get a little fish.

Squirrels watched them from the tree tops while secretive animals crashed through the foliage so not to be seen.

"Sounded like something large," Providence said. "Maybe an elk or a black bear."