28. Saints Out of You

Providence got in the habit of rising extra early. She would use these hours before classes to saddle up Bach and ride him through the quiet town. She rode him around Wild Wood Lake and up and down the dirt roads.

On mornings such as the one she found in late June she liked to ride him as far as she could go, down to the beach. The sea mist sprayed her face as the waves crashed on the rocks. She released the reins and raised her arms in the air as the stag swept up the beach, splashing in the surf. In moments such as these, true freedom came.

Bach staggered to a halt and lowered his head to investigate some jetsam. Providence patted his side and looked out across the sea. The sun had started clearing away the mist and she could see the form of Heritage's island. She looked down when she felt Bach move beneath her. The stag put one great leg in front of the other and skipped down the beach until they stood in the shadowed surf of False Light Peak.

"What's wrong?" Providence asked Bach as he turned his large ears every which way. She looked over her shoulder only to see the extending beach and swaying grass. Without warning, Bach suddenly started forward straight into the sea. "Stop, Bach," Providence said but the elk picked up his pace, splashing into the waves until they were up to his chest and sloshing into Providence's boots.

With a great heave of his chest he came up out of the water onto a flat rock just below the surface. He turned his ears to listen to Providence breathing then with a snort he bounded forward skipping perfectly from rock to rock, giving the appearance of walking on water.

Providence held on tighter as they passed all the dangerous places of the peak and bounded into the sunlight sending fish scattering into the deep. Bach went, left, right and straight until Heritage's island began to roll into view. He gradually slowed his pace before plunging in up to his chest again then climbing the shoreline.

Providence dismounted out of breath and Bach gave his coat a thorough shake.

"So that's how you do it," Providence said. She took advantage of her escapade and picked up some shells and driftwood for crafts. Time was not on her side; however, and she mounted Bach again. "We need to go now," she said to him hoping he would understand. She nudged him down to the sea and without much urging he skipped up onto a rock and carried her back across.

When Providence got back to the house she couldn't wait to relate her discovery. "You won't believe it!" she shouted as she burst into the kitchen.

Ottaline was hanging pots and pans and she looked over her shoulder. "Believe what?"

"Bach," Providence said. "He carried me across the water to the island. I know how the animals got there now." She hobbled quickly out of the kitchen and up the hall with Ottaline coming behind her. She entered the open parlor door. "Mr. Idris you won't believe it," she said. "I was riding Bach on the beach and suddenly he decided to go into the water. At first I thought he was going for a swim but he crossed a land bridge that took me right to the island!"

"Below the surface?" Idris questioned and Providence nodded enthusiastically. "It must be part of what has been wrecking the ships."

"Oh but it was so wonderful!" Providence said falling into a chair. "It was like walking on water." She felt a poke and pulled her treasures out of her pocket. "That's where all the animals have gone to," she said. "A secret passage."

Idris stroked his chin. "A secret passage," he said to himself. Maybe it was time to explore the rest of the tunnels the girls had reported.

Granville walked into the parlor with the mail and was immediately hit with Providence retelling her story. "I wondered where Bach had been hiding," he said flipping through the mail. "Be careful on the rocks though. They can be very sharp." He tucked one envelope behind another and paused. "It's from Mr. Maxwell." He sat down and tore the envelope open then took out the letter.