34. One Ticket for Two

Providence crossed her arms, uncrossed them then crossed them again. "This is madness!"

"Call it what you like, Rovy, I've made up my mind," Ottaline said cracking a nut and popping it into her mouth. She had mended their mother's dancing costume and now stared at it where it hung in the attic light.

"You just want to be near him!" Providence sneered.

"No, I just want to help," Ottaline said. "You have an assignment and so does Mr. Idris. Since I've been stuck in bed all this time I have little to do but cook and clean."

"And who will do all of that while you are away?" Providence asked.

"Gee, Rovy, it's not hard to use a spatula or a broom," Ottaline said then laughed when her sister shot her a sour look. "I'm going and that's final. There won't be much to look after with just you and Mr. Idris in the house. But you can't tell anyone my plan."

"Because your last one went so well." Providence said pointedly.

"What last one?"

"Sneaking into the Blue Roof Inn!" Providence said, "Oh and our boat ride, going into the mausoleum, following Mr. Idris here...let's face it, Ottaline, you're always getting me into trouble."

Ottaline brushed the nutshells from her lap. "But I always get you out of trouble," she said. "Sneaking into the inn got Mr. Idris to help us. Following him here brought us closer to bringing justice to our parents. Going into the mausoleum gave us a piece of mother." She extended her arm to the costume. "As for the boat ride...well I'm sorry about that and you know I am but you can't argue that much of my...detective games, have brought good."

Providence crossed her arms tighter. "You are unfortunately right," she said stealing a nut. "Only this time you can't persuade me to help."

"Well at least you are letting me go," Ottaline said as she got up. She stepped outside the little tent and breathed in the attic air. "I'm not afraid at all you know. I'm ready for whatever comes next."

/

How long do you think you will be gone?" Idris asked Granville over supper.

"I'm not sure," Granville said. "But I don't want Esau Richmond to know that I have left."

"I don't think you'll be able to hide that," Idris said then sipped his drink. "He has eyes all over this town. And he shows up uninvited."

"Well I'll be leaving out on an early train tomorrow," Granville said. "I'm eager to see what Thomas has planned."

Providence looked at her sister next to her as the conversation continued around the table. She could see the determination in Ottaline's face and knew there would be no stopping her. It was madness but madness was better than inequity.

That evening they all listened to the piece Granville played on the piano in silence. It was an upbeat piece that was meant to encourage them but instead plunged them all into deep thought. When dancing hour rolled around the girls were more than ready to do-si-do and it was then that spirits truly began to be raised as Turkey in the Straw rang out gaily from the piano.

They stayed up late for one planning to rise in the early hours. Playing and dancing and singing to song after song.

/

Providence awoke to see Ottaline seated at the edge of the bed pulling on her stockings. She sat up and rubbed her eyes. She could hear birds singing outside and rustling in the trees.

"Is it time already?"

Ottaline looked over her shoulder then got up from the bed. "Yes," she said picking out her blue gingham dress, her bonnet and cape.