35. Dance Her to Life

The screaming rails stirred Ottaline slightly from her sleep. She had been learning to sleep through the sound as the train came to different stops during the nights. She sat up slightly in the top bunk when she felt someone shaking her.

"This is our stop," Granville said as he stood in the dimly lit room.

Ottaline groaned. She didn't think she had ever felt this tired before. It took all her effort to climb down from the bunk. She tied on her bonnet and yoke cape as Granville put on his hat. As she looked up at him he sighed and she looked down.

"I won't send you back."

Her head shot up.

"I suppose it would have been a longer ride if it weren't for your company."

Ottaline jumped up and down. "Thank you!" she said. "I promise I'm here to help."

Granville checked the latches on the trunk. "Just promise to stay close. You've never been to a city like Chicago before and you could get lost."

"I understand," Ottaline said sitting herself on the bottom bunk. "Have you ever been?"

"My mother took my sister and me to the World's Columbian Exposition," Granville said. "We rode the Ferris wheel. It held sixty passengers can you believe that. Lit up at night it was quite the sight."

"Wow," Ottaline said. "It must have really been amazing. I've heard people talk about it before. I've been to a carnival but the World's Fair sounds like nothing I've ever seen."

"Most would agree. There will be another one next year in Missouri, maybe you could go then," Granville said. With a sigh he sat himself on the bed as the train slowed and rocked toward the station.

"I'm sorry I caused you trouble," Ottaline said. "I just really wanted to help."

Granville looked at her then at the wall. "Forget it, Ottaline," he said. "You're here now and perhaps you are right. Maybe I will need your help. Mr. Thomason might need a handy maid to clean his studio."

Ottaline's shoulders dropped.

Granville burst out laughing. "I was only joking." He raised his head and listened to the voices outside the room. "Now remember to stay close. I don't want to lose you in the crowd."

Ottaline got up and secured her bonnet and yoke around her neck. She knew the tone one used when they spoke of thieves and vandals.

The train came to a halt with a hiss and voices and footsteps echoed up the hall. Granville opened the door and stepped into the mahogany interior. A steward walked toward him and smiled. "We'll have you bags out in a minute sir," he said.

Granville nodded then stepped back into the room. He signaled Ottaline after him and she hurried into the vestibule making the steward gasp. Granville looked over his shoulder and smiled at the young man who stood slack jawed staring at them.

Outside another worker helped them step down from the train. Darkness still covered the land but the station lights were plenty to see by. There were a considerable amount of people for the hour bustling about in their lives.

Granville reached down and took Ottaline by the arm and they made their way over to a coach.

"Can I be of assistance this morning?" the coachman asked.