5. Friends and Enimies

Ottaline put her plan into motion Monday after school. She took her fishing rod and walked to the narcissus pond careful not to attract too much attention to herself. Providence had agreed to prepare lunch, but even that didn't give her much time and she had to sneak her rod away unless the younger sister would become suspicious.

She walked through the flowers and stood at its edge staring at her dark reflection. She rounded the pond and to the opposite side where a tree branch reached partway over it. After glancing around she swung herself, rod and all into the branches. Inching down the branch she then lowered her rod down straight until it began to disappear into the water. When only the top most part was visible she lifted it out.

According to the measurements she had taken Sunday night the vases would be well hidden in the water until she thought of something else to do with them. For right now however her only concern was getting them out the house. Next she would have to find a way to move them without being seen.

She quickly left the pond and hurried back home to get her father's lunch. The town was vey alive and already banners were being hung in the streets and park for the weekend celebrations. Two finely dressed women decorated the gazebo while children pulled weeds from the flowers beds. It went the same every year.

Ottaline ran inside the house out of breath. "I'm so sorry," she said taking the basket off the counter.

Providence just waved her hand. "I didn't mind," she said. "I just know he is going to enjoy that link."

Ottaline smiled. "I only wish it wasn't soup again," she said. "It seems all we ever feed him is soup."

"The sausage should add to the flavor," Providence said.

Ottaline nodded then headed for the door. "Do you want to walk half the way with me?" she asked.

Providence shook her head. "I'd better stay here and practice my hand," she said taking a seat before her books at the table. "I'll be here when you get back."

Ottaline left for the mansion surrounded by the scents of the world around her mingled with the aroma of the warm meal they had prepared for their father. Providence was right, he would enjoy the sausage. The very smell of it was making her stomach growl.

When she could see the mansion in the distance she remembered what Hattie had said. Curiosity pulled at her mind. Providence had warned her about playing detective games but she couldn't help feel that there was some sort of mystery to the place. She had never felt it before but now it was creeping up on her like a serpent.

AHOOGAA AHOOGA!

Ottaline whirled around as a motorcar came up the beaten path. She stepped out of the way as it neared her only for it to slow to a stop.

"You going up to the house?" Jude Richmond asked from the driver's seat.

Ottaline stared at him inside the vehicle, frozen.

"Are you deaf, gal? I asked you a question," Jude said. "Are you just gonna stand there and stare at me all day?"

"Sir?" Ottaline finally found her voice. "I'm sorry, sir. No thank you it is not much farther to walk." She started forward.

"Get in the car," Jude said making her stop in her tracks.

"But—"

"Get on in this car."