19. Like a Stag Does

Providence sat cross-legged in the copse playing with her pet rabbits. She watched them kick up their heels as they enjoyed being let loose from their cage to skip among the swans. When she heard a shuffle in the grass she looked over her shoulder.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Heritage," she said.

"Afternoon," Granville said. "I'm happy to see you enjoying the copse. I used to spend hours out here when I was a little boy."

"I like the quiet," Providence said. "It gives me time to just sit and think." She watched him walk around to each of the trees. "I'm sorry about what happened with the boat the other day. Ottaline says it isn't my fault but I knew the dangers too."

"Your sister was right to take responsibility," Granville said.

"Are you angry with her?"

"I was upset," Granville admitted. "But I admire her sense of accountability. That was very mature."

Providence twiddled with the grass before her. "She'll be happy you said that," she said. "She's always trying to be mature." She uncrossed her legs. "But I wish she'd stay regular old Ottaline."

"Well she's growing up," Granville said. "She'll be sixteen next year. My sister came out into society at that age."

Providence scoffed. "That will never happen with Ottaline. She tries to be a lady but really we are just country girls." She laughed.

Granville smiled at her. "All little girls became ladies one day. Just like all boys must be gentlemen. It's just part of life."

"Like death," Providence said. "Daddy tried to explain life and death to me but I've never wanted to accept it for how it was. I want to live forever."

Granville sighed. "Maybe..." he said. "In a better world. A world where both of us are complete with functioning parts."

Providence laughed. She didn't remember ever laughing about her handicap before. "Mr. Heritage..." She said slowly. "Might I ask you something?"

"Sure?"

"My sister and I...can we stay here with you? That is...if we can't find any family. Could we?"

"Providence, I couldn't be a father figure to you, I haven't the years and I make a terrible older brother as you can tell—"

He was cut short by a crashing in the woods that startled the rabbits and the swans.

"What was that?" Providence asked. When the rustling became louder she scooped up her rabbits and hid behind Granville.

"Stay calm, don't run," He warned her. He drew a pistol with his good hand and Providence's eyes widened at the sight of the weapon.

"What if it's a black bear?"

Seconds later tall antlers appeared over the bushes followed by two large ears and a set of dark eyes. Granville lowered his weapon as the bull elk stalked into the clearing. It went right up to him and lowered its head to be petted.

"Bach, it's only you!" Granville said petting the elk as though it were only a dog.

"Bach?" Providence questioned stepping from behind him. "You know him?"

"I found him a few years ago when he was only just born," Granville said. "I haven't seen him sense last fall."

Providence put down her rabbits and approached the elk timidly. She pushed her hands into his dark fur. She could feel his muscles and each breath he took. He indeed was like a big dog.