38. Little Soldiers

Creak slap, pat, pat, pat. Creak slap, pat, pat, pat.

Ottaline opened her eyes to the flapping coach door and rain onto her. The seats were angled on both sides of her rater then firmly in their places beneath her. She looked around in the cold wet darkness and realized she was alone. "Hello?"

She got to her feet and climbed outside where she stood on the side of the over turned coach. There were no sign of the horses, no sign of anyone. She climbed down from the coach, careful to avoid the broken wheel still attached to its axel. Her feet touched down on pavement and she made her way around to the front of the coach where the driver sat. She found his hat lying on its side but no other trace of him.

She kept around the coach and her heart leapt into her throat when she saw the figure lying on the pavement. Swallowing hard she rushed to him and fell at his side. "Mr. Heritage!" She touched his face and drew back bloodied fingers. "Mr. Heritage can you hear me? Granville?" She looked down at his body at the leather cloak that covered him. She didn't recognize it and assumed it belonged to the driver. She assumed it meant he was alive and gone for help. Maybe he had even told her so but she hadn't been conscious to hear him. "Don't worry, I won't leave you." She looked around, unable to see through the rain. "I won't leave you." She felt a shiver pass through her body and she huddled up against the bottom of the coach. Help would come, they had to come.

She didn't realize she was tired but when she opened her eyes she was in the coach again. She could tell so by the movement. When she looked up she saw a woman's face.

"Go back to sleep, child," the old woman said. "You're safe now."

Had she more energy she would have asked more questions but instead she obeyed the woman.

/

When Ottaline next awoke she was lying in a bed. She looked around the dark room and saw her bonnet and yoke cape hanging in the corner. She kicked off the blankets and rushed into the hall. A light shone from the bedroom at the end and she tiptoed toward it.

"This sets us back too far," she heard Mr. Thomason say as she peeked in. "I'll have to find someone else, only everyone else is so far away except—" He caught himself.

Ottaline knocked on the door and pushed it slowly open. Both men looked at her as she stepped into the room. "I'm sorry, Mr. Heritage."

Thomas looked between the two of them.

Granville smiled at her then looked at Thomas. "There is your answer," he said weakly.

"What?" Thomas gasped. "Granville, that head wound has you thinking madly."

Granville shook his head. "Ottaline will return alone with the cold light. I trust her."

Thomas looked back at Ottaline who looked just as surprised as him at Granville's request. "Granville she has been the cause of a lot of trouble for you and that's just since you got here."

"This involves her as much as it does me," Granville slurred. "Ottaline is here and she can be ready to leave straight away and...she knows Drinking Water. Also no one will be suspicious of her return."

Thomas sighed. "Fine." He threw his hands up. "Fine." He left the room and Ottaline approached the bed.

"He's very cross with me," she said. "I don't blame him." She looked at Granville bandaged up and missing his prosthetic arm. Blood marked the gauze around his head. "It is my fault this has happened to you. Me and my vanity."