Ice Maiden (Johnny Storm x Finley Richards)

Finley stared up a the epic 20 foot statue of a business mogul, Victor Von Doom, in whose hands sits two intertwined columns of DNA. His face is chiselled, angular, perfect (too perfect), she glances around as the voice of her brother reaches her, Reed smiles and places a gently kiss to his twins cheek as Ben hugs her tight. The three of them head toward the glass-box atrium of VDI Headquarters. Designed to inspire awe and well it does.

"High open space, exposed structural elements. Obviously aimed at first time visitors to create feelings of...smallness, inadequacy" Ben and Finley glance at Reed, who look a little nervous.

"Good thing it ain't workin... Reed, what are we doing here? This guy's Fast-food, strip-mall science...."

"This wasn't our first stop, in case you forgot NASA" Reed smiles softly at his sister before glancing at Ben.

"Victor's not that bad, he's just a little....." Reed looks up at the statue. "Larger than life" Finley smirks and walks ahead of them, Ben and Reed heading after her, into the sprawling atrium. "He's financed some of the biggest breakthroughs of this century"

"You'd never know" Ben motions to a high-tech orb, showing footage of VDI's accomplishments: a safe and clean nuclear facility, the first private Space Station. All images have VICTOR front and center, glad-handling George Bush, Tony Blair, shady International Leaders. The last image is Victor holding the America's cup. "Jesus. That too?" Finley takes Ben's arm looping her own with it.

"Sooner we do this, Ben the sooner we can leave" Ben smiles at her.

"I love how simple you make things seem, Fin" Ben chuckles as they follow Reed to the receptionist.

"Reed Richards, Finley Richards and Ben Grimm to see..." A receptionist cuts him off, handing them each a pass.

"Executive elevator, top floor"

"What's the price for a smile round here?" Finley smirks.

"Their souls" Ben nudges her with a smile as they head for the elevator. Reed carries a small, black box, they enter the elevator and the steel doors shut.

.............

Ben sits in the corner of a large, dark office. He yawn and watches bright holograms of stars and Planets, they hover in the air, making the room feel like a majestic portal into outer space.

"Our research suggests that exposure to a high-energy cosmic storm born on solar winds might have triggered the evolution of early planetary life" Reed and Finley stand among the holograms speaking to a figure in shadows behind a desk. An ominous, pulsating red cloud covers the stars, It washes over a hologram of Earth.

"In six weeks another cloud with the same elemental profile will pass Earth's orbit. A study in space could advance our knowledge about the structure of the human genome, and help cure countless diseases, extend human life..." The shadow clears his throat, Reed looks to his sister, who begins to speed up. "Give kids the chance to be stronger, healthier, less prone to......"

"Turn it off. Please" The figure's deep voice pierces the darkness.

"But... We haven't fully explained our..."

"Yes, you have...Imagination. Creativity. Passion. Those were always your trademarks" Lights brighten, revealing the face behind the voice: Victor Von Doom, he drops a WIRED magazine to the desk. Reed and Finley are on the cover over the words: RICHARDS BANKRUPT, GRANT CUTBACKS. Reed and Finley look to one another embarrassed. "But dreams don't pay the bills, do they?" Victor gives them both a condescending smile. "Same old Richards, the hopeless optimists. Still reaching for the stars, with the world on your backs"