Chapter 13

The air grew very still and the smell of blood assaulted my nostrils. Everyone was calming down from the adrenaline pumping through their veins.

"More are coming," Dziko said.

I looked around and up in the sky. Nothing in sight.

"You sure?" I asked.

Dziko looked annoyed when she nodded her head. She always said things with absolute certainty. She was one of those types of people.

"I can feel the vibrations in the ground. However, I cannot tell how many more are prepared to continue the assault."

Ken jumped high up into the air leaving a blast of wind in his wake. It had to be at least a hundred feet. Then he floated back down landed lightly on his feet.

"Nothing approaching us in the sky. But I saw several transport vehicles. Well, not transporting people, but missiles. Missiles rolling on wheels...too many to count" Ken said.

I looked at Hunter. His expression was dark.

"They're going to blow up this entire area just to wipe us out. I'd bet my ass that at least one of those missiles is nuclear. They're willing to kill themselves just to rid themselves of us," Hunter said.

"They're afraid of us," I said. That was the only reason.

We'd wiped out just about every branch of their military within a week. We hadn't really broken a genuine sweat. All we'd done was feed into the fear that the humans had toward us and proved them right.

Dziko and Sakima both had this serious expression on their faces as they looked at each other. Neither of them said anything, but I couldn't help but feel like there was some silent communication happening between the two of them.

Ken leaped into the air again and came back down.

"Looks like they have stopped and are aiming those missiles at us. What's the plan?"

"Let them annihilate themselves. We shield ourselves using our abilities meanwhile they do the last bit of heavy work for us. Win-win," Sakima said with a shrug.

"Ken creates a barrier with his wind. I will put up a rock wall and behind that, Daisy Lynn surround us with a wall of ice. That should be enough to protect us," Dziko agreed.

"But we haven't found the Unknowns they've captured and held prisoner? What if they're in the fall out range and can't defend themselves? We need to stop them before they begin," I protested.

"Our primary objective is bringing the humans to their knees. Then we save our own kind." Sakima said fiercely.

"No. Our primary objective is to save our own kind and bringing the humans to their knees is simply a by product of that," I retorted.

"We don't have much time. Ayana and Timothy most likely aren't aware of what's about to happen. I should go back to them and warn them before it's too late," Hunter said.

At least he had one ounce of sense in him. He looked at me, as if he was waiting for me to respond. I gave him a small nod. He hesitated for a moment before his eyes began to glow. Whatever progress we had made between us seemed like it was gone. He knew it. I knew it. But I couldn't dwell on that. We still had a fight on our hands.

"How do you suppose we stop those missiles before they get started?" Dziko asked. Her brown eyes locked in on me and her tone was stern.

"We have to get close enough and destroy them," I said.

Another leap from Ken.

"I'm not saying you're wrong Daisy Lynn - but I don't think we have time to discuss this. They're going to launch one off any minute now," he said.