viii

days scroll by and san never leaves the house. it's messy in his bedroom while he stares at the blank ceiling again like he does every morning.

expect today wasn't a regular morning. he was quickly reminded of the burden that sunk and buried itself deep inside san.

the grimace wooyoung's boss had on his soft featured face was ingrained in his head. the cold eyes that stared down into the depths of san's soul.

he curls himself under his bed's thick duvet, trying not to remember, but it just jostled san's whole mind. he wanted to go to the café and apologise, but he knew the blond didn't want to see him. not after the way he sadly turned away from san before he could whisper a goodbye.

he picks up his phone and checks the day's time. wednesday, about a quarter past nine. san swallows thickly as he locks his phone and puts it back on his nightstand.

he pushes himself from his comfortable bed, even though he never wanted to leave. he needed to try to productive today, no matter how depressed he was. he lied to ms. kim about getting a job, and he still needed to do it.

working with wooyoung at the café would be immediately crossed off. the words of yeosang and mr. jeong, if san can remember correctly, echo through his head. we aren't employing.

but the way wooyoung volunteered to train the inexperienced boy made his heart swell. he was really happy teaching the ebon-haired, he could see it. the reminder of wooyoung's bright, genial smile made san heave and grin loosely.

he wanted to apologise, but he wasn't sure if the blond wanted to see him today, or ever. it's been four days since they've last spoken and he didn't want to seem like he didn't care about the situation.

san looks through his window to the café, the sign on the door flipped to the forest green and white side, saying open in both english and korean. he sees people sitting near the large window, smiling, laughing and enjoying their treats.

san bites his lips as he thinks. he didn't know where wooyoung lived, so trying to surprise him wasn't an option. he could call but he didn't know if wooyoung would pick up. the ebon-haired sighs, frustrated.

he checks his calendar to see any upcoming dates. none close to this week, but a few in the next upcoming month.

his finger grazes lightly over today's slot, the paper debossed by how hard san wrote over it with his pen.

"wooyoung," san reads aloud. the ink wrote wooyoung's name and that was it. san bites his lip as he thinks, until it hits him. it's wednesday! it's wednesday!

after brought to the realization, san is quick to get ready to go out. he pulls his pullover over his tanktop, and switches from leggings to jeans. he rushes to brush his teeth and pull his shoes on at the same time, and ruffles his hair a bit.

he leaves his apartment and heads to ms. kim's market, where he knows what he could find. he sees a line of customers lined up trying to check out, but he skips that, and hops over the counter to ms. kim.

"ms. kim!" san shouts, and ms. kim jumps, dropping the package of noodles she was scanning.

"san," she breathes, clutching onto her chest, trying to calm down. "you scared me."

"ah, sorry," he says. "hey, i have a really important thing tonight and i need expenses for food."

she looks up at san with a displeased look and the ebon-haired nervously smiles. she shakes her head and continues to scan items.

"i thought you said you got a job," she complains, sliding scanned items to the bagging rack, where san starts to bag items into paper bags.

"i did," he whines. "i haven't gotten paid yet, and it's important, ma."

san hands the bags to the man who paid, and smiles while saying have a nice day. ms. kim turns to face san and gives him a raised eyebrow.

"what's so important?"

"i have a date."

ms. kim's face of disapproval washes away and is replaced with a face of pure shock. her mouth drops and her eyes widen.

"a date?" ms. kim says again. "with a girl?"

"yes, with a girl," san lies. "a real girl, ma."

"oh my goodness!" she shouts, gripping san aggressively on the upper arms and shaking him with excitement. "well pick what you need! you have to make it perfect!"

san is relieved and he hugs ms. kim to thank her. he selects a few vegetables and meats, along with some noodles and broth. he could see himself making a simple broth and noodles. he picks out a small pint of vanilla ice cream, which he thinks they both could enjoy together.

he brings everything to checkout and ms. kim has a large smile on her wrinkled and aged face. she rings all the items up, and stuffed them into bags for san.

"i have a 5, i can cover some of - "

"it's okay, ma boy, it's a special day today," she says, taking a card out of her pocket and sliding it through the card reader, the balance then flashing to zero.

san takes the bag and the receipt, smiling and hugging ms. kim one last time.

"thank you, ma," he says. "i promise i'll pay back my debts."

ms. kim sighs, and accepts the warm embrace. she wraps her weak arms around his torso.

"i love you, san."

"i love you too, ma."

author's note:
long update since i haven't updated in a bit!
i hope you guys are doing well. ♡♡♡

- honeyjoongs