4

Flashback

“Yumi. Yumi!” I squinted my eyes letting them adjust to the blinding light from my huge glass window. I see Tessa getting stressed going in and out of my closet. Probably preparing an outfit again.

I groaned and forced myself to sit up regretting it right away when my eyes followed Tessa’s frantic movements. I felt dizzy and slumped my head back to the closest thing I can grab to, my comfy pillow.

“I know you’re awake, Yumi. Get your ass up now!” I covered my ears and allowed myself a muffled reply.

“It’s too early for your nagging, Tess.” I felt both my comforter and my pillow being snatched away from me. “It’s already past 10am Yumi. Please, get up.” Tessa sighed.

I sat up and looked at her while pouting my lips. “Do I really have to go, Tess? It’s a Saturday. I should be allowed to sleep in, right?” she looked at me as if I grew an extra head.

She rolled her eyes and turned her back at me while saying, “Not when you’re an heir to the biggest media conglomerate in the country. You know how your parents are. So please, help me make my job easier and get up. You just need to take a shower and I’ll do the rest.”

This girl really knows how to guilt trip me. She knows I love her too much and always finds a chance to use it against me. I stood up, grabbed my towel and make my way to my toilet.

She stood by the door, arms crossed and waiting for me to speed up my movements. “You really need to lighten up, Tess. Do you need me to get Mr. Cruz to find you a boyfriend? You know he’s on my speed dial.”

She unhooked her hands and pushed me inside the bathroom while saying, “I don’t need you to waste your money on me, Yumi. Especially not by paying your private investigator. Now, please hurry up. We only have an hour to get you ready.”

I slumped my shoulders and closed the door behind me. I rest my head on the door and closed my eyes. “Another day of pretending again.” I whispered.

I straightened my body and turned around to look at my reflection in the mirror. “I don’t see anything special. Why do people suck up to you? Oh, yeah. Because apparently, you’re someone important.”

I finished my mini dialogue with myself and made my way to the shower. I let the water adjust to my liking and entered. I felt my muscles relax and thought how this day is gonna end again. I’ve been meaning to talk about something with my parents that I’m pretty sure will get their approval. I just need to come up with a believable lie.

I finished showering and went out to see Tess preparing the makeup she will be using to prep me up by my vanity mirror. I was drying my hair with a towel when she turned around and heard my lazy movements.

She put both her hands on her waist and said, “For someone who was born and raised in this kind of environment, it’s always a hassle to prepare you for an event. This is a usual thing for you and your family, Yumi.” I sat down in front of the vanity mirror and looked up at her.

“The only normal thing in my world is you, Tess. No one and nothing else.” She gave me a weak smile and kneeled beside me. “Then shouldn’t it make it easier that I’m with you 24/7?’ she softly said.

I smiled back at her. Thinking how lucky I am that a wonderful person like her stuck with me all throughout the craziness of my mundane life.

I cupped her cheek and said, “I always fail to show how grateful I am to you with my petty antics, do I?” she held my hand with both of hers and said, “Yumi, I should be the one grateful to you. If it weren’t for you, I would’ve lived in regret not giving my mom the life she deserves before she left me.” I looked at her and I can see how she is fighting back the tears that is threatening to fall from her eyes.

About 3 years ago, Tessa’s mom died of terminal brain cancer. Tessa saw how rapid her mom’s deterioration was both physically and mentally. It was very painful for her because during her mom’s last month, her memories has been all over the place. To the point where she only remembers the young Tessa.

“I know your mom is irreplaceable, Tessa. And it will stay that way. But always remember, the both of us, we will always be family.” I smiled at her. She chuckled and stood up while wiping her eyes. “Enough of this drama. Mom will surely scold us if she is listening right now because we are already off schedule. You know how strict she is.” She said while trying to sound strong. But I knew better.

I grinned at her and let her do what she’s good at. I watch as Tessa skilfully braids my hair and applied light makeup on my face. Every time I ask her why she only does my makeup light she would always tell me that the world deserves to see what real beauty is.

I always scoff at that. Not because she always tells me I’m beautiful but because the world doesn’t need to see nor know who I am. Jokes on me, I was born as an “heir” everyone is anticipating to make that one huge mistake that will cost both me and my family’s name.

Once she’s done with my makeup, she dressed me up with a cute rose gray A-line dress with a chiffon lace top and a key hole back. I looked at myself on my full body mirror and admire Tessa’s handiwork. She appeared right behind me and put a moon shaped necklace around my neck.

I touched the moon shaped pendant and directed my eyes to Tessa on the mirror’s reflection. “This is beautiful, Tessa.” I softly said.

She smiled at me and wrapped her arms around my shoulders. “A beautiful necklace for a beautiful girl. I’ve been meaning to give you this since last week but I figured it would look great on this dress so I waited. I know how you love looking at the night sky. I can always see you by your balcony at night when the stars are alive and twinkling. I see how your eyes saddens when you don’t see the moon. Now, you can always have a piece of our friendship with you wherever you go.”

I let a tear escaped my eye and the reality of my decision is slowly dawning on me. I hugged Tessa and thanked her for the wonderful gift. Before I could say anything else, she said, “Okay, stop. We’re not gonna do this. At least not now when you haven’t even told your parents yet.” I chuckled at her lame attempt to the change the topic when we heard someone clear his throat.

“Ms. Yumi. The car is ready for you downstairs.” Levi, my father’s loyal assistant, eyed us by the door.

“I told you to call me Yumi when my parents are not around, Levi. And are you sure you’re here to remind me the car is waiting for me? You could have asked one of the maids to fetch me.” I teasingly smiled at him.

I saw a glint of red graze his cheeks and his eyes moved from me to Tessa then back to me. I giggled and kissed Tessa on the cheek and whispered a quick goodbye while grabbing my handbag that is sitting on the bedside table.

“Come on, Levi. We don’t want to be late for this wedding.”