Part 39

Den's

All our heads turned when we heard the door opened.

Mabilis akong napatayo at napatakbo patungo sa pintuan.

"Oh my gosh, you're soaked! ", I exclaimed as we approached Aly when we saw her.

"You have to take a quick shower and change your clothes, you're gonna catch cold!", tuloy-tuloy kong sabi as I lead Aly to a chair.

"Besh..." tawag ni Ella at inabot sakin yung isang tuwalya.

"Basang-basa ka..." I told her as I started to dry her head,

I know something is up, something more serious.

I wanted to ask her, tell her to please open up with me and to share me those aches she's feeling.

Pero hindi ko magawa.

Patuloy ko lang siyang pinupunasan gamit yung tuwalyang iniabot sakin Ella, habang siya, nananatiling nakaupo at nakayuko.

Lahat kami narito sa common room, lahat sila nakatingin habang patuloy yung pagpupunas ko kay Aly.

Her silence is seriously killing me.

Until I saw a single tear slid down from her warm and used to be always smiling eyes. I knelt in front of her.

I gently wiped the tear with my thumb and forced myself to smile,

"Hey..." I softly called while trying to lift her face to look at me.

A single tear made its way again, followed by another one, and another one, until soon, a steady stream of tears trickled it's way down her cheeks.

Still no one from my teammates dares to talk,

...until Alyssa did.

"She broke up with me, Den.", and that's it, I thought. It is because of that girl again. She's crying in front of us, looking so vulnerable because of her again. And this is so unlikely her. She used to be a strong and jolly person, someone you would not think have a weakness. But this time, she looks so fragile and helpless, tears just flowing freely on her cheeks.

"Ly... its okay. Everything will be fine eventually. " it was Ella. Pati siya na parating masaya at makulit, seryoso at nangingilid ang luha dahil sa nakikita niya.

"The director had just talked to me this morning, Ella. I am at the edge of being kicked out of the team. But I still prioritized on how to fix things up with Pots, but it wasn't enough to win her back. How could everything so fucked up?!" saying that last part, she hit her legs hard as her tears flow harder.

I took her hands with mine to stop her from hurting herself,"Everything will be fine, okay? You just have to focus again on your games and study."

I cupped her face for her to look straight to me and see the sincerity in my eyes, "...And it's not that hard for you, Ly. Hey you're a genius!" I playfully pinched her cheek.

"And about that girl... " I paused, thinking on how will I advise her regarding her.

".. just forget about her, Ly. She's not worth any sacrifices you're doing. ", I said seriously.

"I wish I can, Den. I really wish I can." she placed her hand to cover her eyes but it wasn't a help to stop her cries.

She sobbed into her hands and tears dripped between her fingers. It was more than a cry, it was more like a ravage sobbing that comes from a person drained of all courage.

"I love chess, Den, you know that. But I quit from the sport. And my studies, I didn't twice when I sacrificed it. Akala ko kasi..." she sobs, "... kala ko kasi, it can still save us. I begged, Den. I told her na mabibigyan ko na siya ng mas maraming time..."

"...But it was all useless. How could everything turned into this, Den?" she asked and looked at me, having that eyes that bleeds her pain.

I suddenly felt numbed, I wish I have the answer, Ly.