Chapter Ten: Zach's Truth.

Haha! I'm getting better with titles.. oh, anyway, my end of term exams are just around the corner so I would be busy 24/7 preparing for it. I will most definitely upload another one or two chapters before I pushed my iPad away and concentrate on my exams. Again, thank you for you who had been loyally reading my story, despite the very slow update. Anyway, I already planned out the second book and can't wait to start.

p/s: again, vote and comment please? Pretty pretty please with chocolate syrup on top?? ^^

************************

The pain had lessen involuntarily and I slowly opened my eyes only to be greeted by a very sad looking Zach. He had his head in his hand and sighs could be heard from him every two seconds. I rolled my eyes and looked at my surroundings.

The infirmary is quite large. The bed was kinda comfy too. There's a big cabinet with a glass door at the right side of the door as the doctor's table is placed a few feet away in front of it. The bed I was on was placed facing the table. A big window on my left was left open. It was just a common infirmary room.

I dragged my gaze away from the window and gasped. A pair of green eye were watching me. Zach had been watching me all the time. I felt rush of heat began to creep up my cheeks. Uncomfortable, I tried sitting up and in a flash, Zach grabbed my shoulder before urging me to lay back. I frowned up at him but he just shook his head. "Please?" he said.

It came out in a whisper and I noticed the hoarse tone in his voice, as if he was crying earlier. I nodded and rested my head on the pillow. Zach dragged the chair he was sitting on closer to the bed. He had a very sorrowful look in his eyes as he looked at me. "You....okay?" His voice  sounded better than before. "No pain, anywhere?"

His green eyes glinted with regret and guilt. I shook my head and smiled. "Nope. I'm as good as new." Zach chuckled but it sounded fake. He leaned back in the chair and sighed. "I'm sorry." He whispered, his gaze belongs entirely to the ceiling above. I frowned.

"I'm really sorry. I didn't mean for that to happen." He pulled his hand up and covered his eyes. I sighed. "Zach." I called but he didn't move. "Zach." I tried again. Still, he refused to move. Frustrated, I sat up and cupped his face, forcing him to look at me. "Zachary Quince, I swear that if you don't look at me, I will-"

I was taken aback when my eyes meet his. His green eyes was wet with tears and could fall any minute now. I hated it when someone cry. It made me felt useless, it made me felt as if I could have done something but I didn't.

Unconsciously, I pushed his head back, making him to stare at the ceiling again. "Don't you dare cry." I said. Zach just sat there and slowly he sniff. "You can let go now, Haru. I won't cry."

I pulled my hand back and when his eyes met mine, I felt even more worst. Instead of tears, its full of regret, guilt and one thing that I recognize the most. Loneliness. "Hey, what's wrong?" I asked in my most reassuring voice.

Zach sighed and looked at me. "You were bleeding because of the injury from the level two examination, isn't it?" I frowned. Huh? "I threw the ball even though you had your back turned. I'm....I'm sorry Haru." He sighed again, his face in his hand. "I'm an asshole."

I bite my lower lips, thinking of the things that I should say. Agh, this is frustrating. You're not supposed to sooth him, you're supposed to keep your distance and don't make any physical or emotional connection with anyone!, the voice in my head scream frantically. But I ignored it.

"Yup, you are right." I said. Zach flinched and he slowly looked at me. I flashed him my limited edition grin. "You are an asshole, Quince." I teased him. Zach seem confused at first but then he burst out laughing. He smirked back at me. "Thank you, Haru."

*****************

"Haru, wait."

I was about to walked out of the infirmary when Zach held my wrist, stopping me. Fortunately, the doctor had been informed about my 'little' situation and would keep my secret a secret. But I did had to begged her to not report this incident to the principal. I don't want any trouble. Besides, I need to find out about that Castiel guy and the thirteen against one thingy but wouldn't have the chance to do so if the CMS found out about it.

I nodded and sat down at the end of the bed. Zach took a seat beside me, his hands playing with the end of his school shirt. "What is it, Zach?" Zach took a deep breath before he turned towards me, looking at me right in the eye. "I need to tell you something," he took another deep breath. "...the truth."

I grew silent. The truth? "About what?" Zach smiled just a little as he stood up and took a seat at the chair he was sitting earlier. "The truth about us. Shu, Jared and me." I frowned before something clicked inside my head. "oh." The truth about the incident that happen years ago. But what does Jared has to do with it?

Zach looked at me before dragged his gaze to the window. "It happen years ago, when we were thirteen or fourteen. We were the best of friends, you know. Me, Jared, Shu and the others. We do things together and share good things we had together. It was the most previous friendship that I ever had."

"One day, she came. Our foster parents decided to sent her to me, living with me." I noticed the hatred he felt whenever he mention her. Who is she? "At first, I was thrill. I haven't seen her for years so I was glad that I get to see her. Fione was the sweetest little sister that I could ask for. She was innocent, pretty and kind. Like you, Haru." Zach looked at me and smirked before he looked at the window again.

"But that was all just for a show." Zach shifted in his chair, looking uncomfortable. "I found out that she was a summoner." This took me by surprise. A sigh escape his lips. "She was being kind just to complete her darn mission and she doesn't even care about me. So when I found out that she was going out with Shu, I snapped."

"I tried to warned Shu but he just won't listen. Jared even punched me and called me an asshole for accusing  my little sister doing bad things. I was heartbroken and I refused to talk to them. Until that night."

"Jared appeared at my door step and told me about Fione. I rushed to Shu's house but not for her but for Shu. I was worried about Shu. When we arrived, Fione was found dead. But I wasn't sad at all. Shu was shocked and traumatized by that incident but me, as her big brother, didn't feel a thing. Instead, I was glad that she was gone. Jared knew about my feelings and he was mad. Till today, we all act as if we doesn't know each other."

Zach shook his head as he chuckled softly, looking at me. "Years of friendship crumble down by just one girl." I felt a tugged at my heart. So that's how we summoners are being seen by others. I held my hands into a fist. "Do you hate them?" I asked. Jared frowned. "The summoners. Do you hate them?"

Zach shrugged. "I do." I flinched at this. "They killed my parents. They  destroyed this town once, when I was still a child. You have no idea how painful it feels to lost two most dearest things to you all at once. My parents and this town, where I was born." He had his head in his hand again. "She knew that, Fione knows how our parents died but still she took their side. She was a monster."

I took a deep breath. "Do you know what her mission was?" Zach sighed and straightened, looking at me. "She was instructed to cleanse this city and destroyed it if things get out of hand." I was dumb struck. Her mission was just like mine, except that I was not allowed to made any contact with the citizen.

"So what's so bad about being a summoner?" I blurted out. Zach stared at me. "Bad? Everything's bad about a summoner. They summons creature and kill humans. They killed my parents. They lie and pretend to care just to complete their mission." My heart felt as if it was being squashed. "But they did it to protect others, right? They summons creatures to exorcist demons, to keep them from harming humans. Whats bad in that?"

Zach looked at me right in the eyes and held his gaze. "Whats bad is that they risk others life in doing so. Like one time, Fione saves a little girl from a demon but let the other family members die. Is that good?" I just nod. "I see."

Zach stood up and stretch. "All those storytelling made me hungry." He looked at me. "Wanna come, Haru?" I shrugged and forced myself to smile. "Yeah, sure."