Chapter 39

"A deal?" Sal said as he looked to Zhaen. She looked away and then to Todd, "Zhaen don't you fucking dare! He's nothing but a liar and you know it!" Sal yelled at her. She just sighed then nodded. The demon chuckled as it held it's hand back out. 

"Do I look like someone who would fuck around? Think about this. I will leave your friends alone, as long as you become my puppet." 

Zhaen sat there and you could tell she was thinking about it. Sal sat his gear boy down on the sleeping Zhaen. He walked over to the ghostly version of herself. He tried to hold her hands to confront her but he went through her.

"I can wake you up, people will be able to touch you. Rather then go through you."

"Zhaen, you can wake up on your own. I am sorry that it took us so long to even think about the gear boy. You don't have to do this..." Sal said as he looked up at the very confused Zhaen. She stepped back and looked at her body.

"I am never going to wake up, Sal. No one ever comes in to see me except Larry. I want to see everyone. I want to be able to hold my girlfriend without her trying to kill me..." Zhaen said as she started to cry again. This was new information to Sal.

"Wh-What are you talking about? Ash would n-never.."

"Oh but she did, you think Zhaen would have an attack like that out of nowhere. Think about it." 

The demon lifted itself out of Todd and he fell to the ground. Sal thought fast in order to catch him before hitting the floor. Dragging him to the chair in the corner of the room. The demon walking around Zhaen.

"Your friend Todd wanted to kill you for the sake of Neil. Ash wanted to kill you too. How could she know how you were feeling?"

"Y-You're right..." Zhaen said as she cried into her hands. She was so confused. She didn't want to leave, but if she didn't then her new friends would be in trouble.

"Zhaen! Do not listen to him! We will find a way to get through this we-" Sal didn't get to finish before the door busted in. They all looked back to see Ash and Larry standing there. Larry managed to busy the door down with a laundry bin he had been smashing into the door. Ash covered her face as she saw Zhaen. But Zhaen couldn't look at her. She looked away, ashamed.

"Zh-Zhaen...I..." Ash went to say but Sally looked up at her.

"I think it's best for you to wait in the hall, Ash."

"Yes, that is best." 

The demon grinned as he knocked her out and pushed her into the hall.

"Ash!" Zhaen yelled and went to help but was knocked back by the demon.

"We aren't dont here! You are half dead and in my realm!"

He chuckled and Zhaen sat there on the ground. She couldn't do anything. She couldn't touch anyone. She couldn't help anyone. She couldn't protect anyone.

"I feel so helpless. So useless..." Zhaen started. She was smiling but crying

"Zhaen, please, don't do this..." Larry said as he walked up to Sal. For the first time ever in Zhaen's life, she saw Larry crying, "Y-You are like a sister to me...Zhaen...don't do this to us. You'll hurt everyone if you leave like this."

Zhaen looked over at Larry and walked over to him. She reached her hands up to his face and cupped her hands as close to him as she could. She tried to wipe his tears but couldn't. She just smiled and shook her head.

"I can't even comfort you Larry. I can't even wipe your tears. What kind of big sister am I if I can't even help you in times when you need me most..." Zhaen said. She 'put' her head against Larrys and he could feel the cold but didn't care.

"Zhaen, don't go. We can figure this out." Sal said and Zhaen believed him. The demon, however, didn't like that his chances were getting slimmer and slimmer at getting what he wanted 

"Dear Sam, you couldn't save him back home right? So you want to do what you can here? Protect those who you call family right?" The demon grinned. Knowing how to get her now.

"I-I couldn't protect him then but I can now. I want to protect my friends and Larry. He reminds me of Sam in every little aspect. I just want everyone to be happy. If I were to leave, then I wouldn't be making anyone happy. They will just be sad, knowin I was gone." Zhaen said as she let go of Larry. He nodded and wiped his eyes.

"What if they didn't remember you at all?"

"What?" Zhaen said as she faced him. 

"What if I could take away the pain of them remembering you for leaving? I can wipe you from everyone's memory. You just have to join me." He said as he held his hand out again.

Zhaen looked at it and then her own hand.

"Zhaen!" Sal yelled and she turned around. She was a sad, hot mess. She was confused as to what she should do and she shook her head. 

"It doesn't even matter. Half of the people reading this don't even like me! You guys forgetting about me wouldn't be a problem! Then you can go on with your lives! Without me...and you wouldn't even know I was here..." She said as she stepped away from him. She had her mind set. She wanted to protect everyone.

"All I have to do is be your puppet? Will I still be able to be myself in any of this?" Zhaen said to the demon and he nodded.

"I will be around when you are not being used. In your mind. Like I was for your red headed friend over there." He pointed to Todd, "It's like being your conscious, so what do you say?" He says.

"Zhaen, if you do this then we will remember you! We will find a way to bring you back! Do you understand?! We will bring you back and free you from this monster!!" Sal yelled as he began to cry. He was really about to lose one of his friends to the darkness like this.

"I understand." She said as she took his hand. There was a small wince of pain and then nothing. Zhaen's spirit disappeared and the demon was gone. They looked over as Zhaen's body started moving. She sat up and grinned. One of her eyes were red and the first thing she did, was start talking, but it wasn't really Zhaen.

"Be sure to cry for her, because she is gone." He started
"Don't cry for me because I am not gone" She said at the same time

"Her soul is mine and her heart is gone." He said
"My soul is trapped but my heart goes on." She says

"Blow out the candle of hope and watch her burn out."
"Light a candle for me to see"

"Forget about her"
"Hold onto my memory"

"Let your tears fall like ashes"
"Please save your tears"

"She is gone forever"
"I will still be here"

"Never to be seen again"
"Always by your side"

"She will always be gone."
"Throughout the years."

"Goodbye."
"Goodbye."

"Zhaen!" Both boys yell before everything goes back. The last thing Sal seeing is one eye, her real eye, crying as she said Goodbye to us.