11

juliette davis

the past four days, every single one of the boys have been acting incredibly weird. okay, i know it isn't abnormal for them to goofy and crazy. but, no, they are acting strange. secretive, quiet, and super kind.

sam's been going out more and avoiding me, matthew was asking me what type of clothing i like and what colours are my favourite for certain types of clothing items, nate has been extremely secretive with the two jack's. and lastly, whenever i walk into the room that all or majority of them are in, they suddenly go silent and awkwardly stare at me like i walked in on something that i shouldn't of.

four days ago was the morning that i woke up without sam in my bed, though we did fall asleep together the night prior. i don't know if some of the boys found out and they feel guilty for catching us sleeping or if they found us in the morning and thought we did something?

"hey juliette!" matthew walks into the house, a couple of bags in his hands as he smiles at me, "i bought you something!"

"matthew... can i ask why you felt the need to buy me anything? it's sweet but i don't ne—"

he laughs loudly, "im just being nice! i haven't bought you clothing since you got here. so, here you go!"

my eyebrows pull together as he passes me two bags that have two additional bags inside. i look up at him, "matthew!"

"i had to! they had some really pretty things!" he laughs.

i smile, "well, thank you. i appreciate it" before i open the bags, i stand up to embrace him.

"okay, open them!" he practically yells when we pull apart. i do as told, opening the first bag that is a dress. a really pretty dress, actually.

"wow, matthew. you have good taste, boy" i chuckle, eyeing the gorgeous peachy yellow coloured dress. it buttoned from the waist up and was a tank-top style dress. it was super pretty.

"thank you" he laughs, "glad you like it."

i continue with the next bag, seeing beautiful white high heels.

"why in the world would i need shoes?" i laugh, "i don't go outside!"

"i thought you might want to wear shoes around the house? even though the guys will kill me since they're heels, who cares" he shrugs.

the next bag contained a white spaghetti strapped tank top and a very light pink jean skirt. the skirt went probably mid-thigh and had buttons down the entire front.

"matthew!" i smile, "this is a gorgeous outfit!"

he smiles, "thanks, that was my favourite. i was so proud."

the last bag contained all cosmetic things — perfume, mascara, makeup wipes, a clear lip gloss.

"matthew, why in the world—"

"as i said, i haven't boughten you anything since you came here. sam made me in charge of that and i felt as if you should get some re-vamping!" he says, "did i do good?"

i nod, standing to hug him again, "thank you so much! i really, really appreciate it!"

"well, im glad!" he laughs, "you should get all nicely dressed tonight. wouldn't it be nice to get ready? you girls seem to like that a lot."

"we do, it's therapeutic. maybe i will?" i say the last part as a question, more so talking to myself.

"you should. maybe the dress and then do your makeup" he shrugs, "you don't have to wear the heels, they would probably look better with the skirt."

— — — — — — —

matthew was watching me do mascara as i had put on the yellow dress. it was super stunning, fitting around the waist and flowed as it went below the waist. it was mid-thigh high, so pretty much a perfect fit.

"doesn't it feel like you're going to poke your eyes out?" he asks, looking at me terrified as he observes me.

i shake my head, "you get used to it."

"when you're done, come see me" he says, "i'll be in the living room."

"okay" i reply. i put on the clear gloss and observe myself in the mirror of the washroom. the dress was beautiful. i had my hair in a ponytail, really showing off the back of the dress. it was an open back, but was in the shape of a diamond.

i sprayed the sweet smelling perfume before going downstairs to where matthew was. as i approached the main floor, it was extremely dark.

"matthew?!" i call, "matthew, where are—"

as my foot lands on the last step, i see a very clear outline of a boy that i know the outline of well. his tall and slim figure, though he is wearing much different attire.

"matthew's not here" he says, lighting a candle beside him, "it's just you and i."

his face is illuminated by the candle's golden, dim lighting. he looks breathtaking.

"you, though... you look..." he stretches his arm out for me to grab his hand, as he makes me do a twirl, "you look, wow. stunning, juliette."

i smile, "thank you, you look handsome. definitely not the typical look for you."

"thought this was a good enough occasion" he shyly shrugs, a grin on his face as he leads me to the couch, "are you hungry? thirsty?"

shaking my head, i bite my tongue from asking what this good enough occasion is. if this is his way of somewhat "mourning" my father's death, then um, im shocked.

"you're thinking" he states, staring at me with his head tilted, "what's on your mind?"

i, again, shake my head, "don't worry, it's nothing important."

he smiles, placing his hand on my thigh, "matthew did a good job picking out your outfit."

i laugh, "i know! he was so proud, it was sweet. is this why he did it?"

"exactly the reason. i told him to avoid telling you the real reason, though" he explains.

my head fills with various questions of why in the world i would need to dress up in a house where i can't go outside, seemingly just for sam.

he sighs, "juliette?"

i nod, "yes sam?"

he bites his bottom lip, "well, you see. i wanted to ask you if you'd... no, shit, um. im wondering if you would like... no, fuck."

"sam just spit out whatever is on your mind, don't think about how it's worded" i say, placing my hand on his shoulder.

"will you be my girlfriend?"