Part 11

Kakashi hesitated for a moment but then leaned in a little. Anko took this opportunity and instantly place her lips on Kakashi's masked ones.

His eye widened, and he froze in his place.

Asami was seeing this all from a distance. From her point of view, they were kissing. She blinked twice, trying to grasp what she was actually seeing. She couldn't believe what her eyes were showing her.

The mixed feelings of excitement and nervousness that she had been carrying in her heart the whole day, disappeared in less than a second.

The person she loved, was carrying someone else, and they were.. kissing? She felt as if a sword had pierced her tender heart.

Unknowingly, tears began to blur her vision, as she covered her mouth with her hands. Seeing what that was in front, broke her heart into innumerable pieces.

Not taking this anymore, Asami took a couple of steps back before she completely turned around and ran away.

Anko smirked at her victory. Everything had turned out in her favour without much of her effort.

Kakashi quickly pulled away as soon as he recovered from the shock and dropped Anko on to the ground.

"What was that huh? How dare you do that?" He glared at her, his visible eye showing nothing but rage.

"Ouch hey, why did you do that? It hurts," Anko complained, ignoring his outburst.

"I don't care.." Kakashi hissed and walked away, his expressions filled with disgust.

"Well.. that was rude, but now Asami thinks that we're together.. This'll keep her away from him."

Anko smirked, as she stood up.

She knew about the strong bond Asami and Kakashi shared. Being in the same class in the Academy with those two, she knew that Asami had always liked Kakashi and could tell this too that deep down, Kakashi had feelings for Asami too.

"If he doesn't love me, I won't let him love anyone else either..."

**

The sun was setting behind the mountains.

Asami was running through the empty street, the wind blowing her tears away. She didn't know why was she feeling this shattered. He wasn't her boyfriend, or they weren't a couple or something, but still she couldn't cope with the fact that he had just kissed someone else.

Just when she had gathered enough courage to confess her feelings for him, she saw something she hadn't expected even in her dreams.

Asami arrived at Kurenai's apartment and knocked at the door, wiping her eyes with her sleeve.

"Coming," Kurenai said from the inside and opened the door.

Immediately, she gasped upon seeing Asami. Her emerald eyes were puffy and she was on the verge of tears, no matter how hard she was trying to hold back.

"Asami? What happened?" Kurenai worried, as she pulled her inside and closed the door.

Asami opened her mouth to speak but couldn't say utter a word. She knew if she tried to voice something, her words might break down into sobs. So, she shut her quivering lips again and averted her eyes.

Kurenai knew that Asami had gone to see Kakashi, so she could vaguely anticipate what might have happened.

"Let's go inside." She took Asami to the living room and brought her a glass of water. Asami drank it and calmed down a little.

"Can you tell me what happened?" Kurenai eyed her with concern, sitting beside Asami on the sofa.

"K-Kakashi.." she whispered softly.

"Did you meet him? Kurenai asked, earning a shake of head in response.

"I didn't get a chance to. He.. he was with her," Asami answered, as the scene flashed before her eyes. 

"With who? Who are you talking about?" Kurenai furrowed her brows in confusion.

"Anko," Asami replied and bit her bottom lip to stop it from quivering.

"Anko?" Kurenai gasped and then her surprised expression become more concerned. She placed her hand on Asami's shoulder and requested, "Tell me clearly what exactly happened."

"They.. kissed," Asami stammered, keeping her gaze low and trying to hold back her tears.

"What? I mean, are you sure?" Kurenai asked in disbelief.

"I saw it with my own eyes. He was.. carrying her.. and then they..  t-they kissed," Asami explained, failing to control her tears anymore.

"Anko.. what have you done.." Kurenai pulled Asami into a hug. "But Kakashi? Why would he do that?"

"Relax, Asami."

After crying on her friend's shoulder for a minute, Asami pulled away and wiped her cheeks.

Kurenai led her to the bathroom where she washed her face. She didn't ask Asami anything else. She knew she was hurt and needed time to think, accept and move on.

After that, they went to her bedroom. It wasn't the first time Asami was going to sleep at Kurenai's house. When they were kids, they used to have sleepovers.

Asami just lay there in the bed, unable to sleep. She couldn't get forget what she had seen. It was replaying in her mind over and over again, forcing her to wonder,

"So.. you don't love me hm?"