Part 19

Asami's eyes shot open when she felt something soft and warm pressed against her lips. She stood frozen in her place, staring off into the space.

For a second, she thought it was merely her imagination, but deep down, her heart knew that it was real. Kakashi had pinned her arms to the wall above her head and was .. kissing her?

She was stiff and thought of pulling away, but his lips were so inviting that she just couldn't. Butterflies were dancing around in her stomach. Whatever this feeling was, it was dominating, and she found herself slowly relax. It took her several moments, but then she closed her eyes and gradually returned the kiss.

Kakashi mentally smiled in relief. He let go of her wrists, and his hands slipped to her shoulders and then made their way down until they encircled her waist, while her arms slipped around his neck.

The kiss lasted only a couple of seconds more before they pulled away, his forehead rested against hers and their eyes still closed. His hands were still around her waist and hers resting on his chest.

"I love you, Asami," Kakashi whispered in a husky voice.

Asami's head snapped upward to look at him. He had his mask already on, preventing her from seeing his face.

Was this all a dream? Did they just really kiss? Did she hear him right? Did he just say he loved her?

Asami couldn't grasp anything. She just stared at him with her shaking eyeballs, as warm tears welled up in her eyes once again and didn't take time to spill out, travelling down her face to her neck. Kakashi let go of her waist and gently cupped her face in his gloved hands.

"I love you," he repeated, wiping her tears and gently caressing her cheeks with his thumbs.

Asami's emerald eyes were locked with Kakashi's charcoal one. His expressions were so honest that she was tempted to trust his words, to trust him. She forgot at that time about what she had seen the other day. More tears streamed down her face, but this time, for a different reason. She clutched his vest and hugged him tightly.

"I-I love you too, Kakashi." She sobbed into his chest.

Hearing this made Kakashi breathe in relief, like a huge burden was lifted from his heart.

"I-I have always," Asami confessed, her voice a cracked whisper.

Kakashi smiled and wrapped his arms around her, holding her close.

"I'm glad.." he murmured, as he gently stroked her silky black hair in a comforting manner.

**
**
It was almost midnight now. Streets were deserted, dark and silent. Asami and Kakashi were walking together, hand in hand and finger interlocked.

"...and then she did that." Kakashi finished explaining that incident with Anko.

"I'm sorry. I misunderstood you." Asami looked down at her feet, a frown of guilt appearing on her face. Kakashi noticed that. He untangled their hands and put his arm around her waist, pulling her close to him.

"It's not your fault." He placed masked lips on her temple. Asami blushed deeply, but it soon disappeared when they heard something.

"I'll see you later." A familiar voice came from an adjoining street.

"Iruka.. uh-oh." Asami mumbled lowly, as she stopped walking. How could she forget that she was going to meet him? Judging from the sound of the footsteps, he was coming in their direction.

"What's wrong?" Kakashi asked, as he stopped too.

"I forgot. I was supposed to meet Iruka tonight. I was going to give him my answer," she replied with an anxious look on her face.

"Answer? I don't understand."

"He.. he confessed his feelings for me last night," she told him hesitantly and then looked up to see his reaction.

"He went too far." Kakashi clenched his hands into fists and turned his head toward the sound of Iruka's footsteps. Anger was evident in his expressions and aura.

Asami placed her hand on his masked cheek, making him look at her. "But I love you, Kakashi. Only you," she reassured. His eye softened, and his masked moved, showing that he was smiling. The footstep were already too close.

"Let's go then." Kakashi grabbed her hand and teleported them away. They reappeared inside his apartment.

"Come on in." He went to his bedroom after removing his sandals, and Asami followed him. She was looking around in puzzlement while Kakashi took off his vest and headband.

"Why did you bring us here?" Asami asked, observing his room. There wasn't much stuff. Just a normal sized double bed, book shelves with his favourite Icha Icha series arranged on them, a chair and a table, quite decent for one person.

Kakashi appeared right behind her, now in his navy sleeveless tank top with attached mask and his trousers. He untied her headband, causing her bangs to fall over. He then placed his hands on her shoulders and slowly slid down her long sleeved blue jacket, leaving her in her black spaghetti strap shirt.

As his warm fingers gently traced a tingly path on the exposed skin from her shoulders to her wrists, causing a rise of goosebumps, he whispered in her ear, "Stay with me tonight."

Asami's cheeks turned crimson and her body tensed up, a lot of thoughts flowing through her mind. What did he mean by that? This didn't get unnoticed by the copy ninja.

"Relax." Kakashi chuckled and hugged her from behind, wrapping his arms around her waist. "I won't do anything that'd make you uncomfortable." He smiled, and rested his chin on her shoulder, inhaling deeply and taking in her sweet scent.

The warmth emitting from his body caused Asami to unconsciously lean back into his muscular torso and melt into his embrace.

Now, every misunderstanding was erased. It felt as if the lost piece of puzzle was put in its right place. She still couldn't believe that they were together. It felt like an illusion. It seemed as though she would wake up at any moment and realize it was all just a dream. But the feeling of being in his arms and his breath constantly hitting her neck were so genuine that she was more than happy to accept the fact that it was real. She was with her lover.

They finally pulled away. Kakashi turned the lights off, and they both slid beneath the covers.

"Good night," he whispered and tenderly pecked her on lips, a gesture she instantly loved.

With her head fitted under his chin, and his arms wrapped around her small waist, he held her close, appreciating the way she fit him perfectly, as if created just for him. Her ear and cheek were pressed against his chest. She could feel his heartbeat and not to mention the smoothness of his well built chest through his shirt. She snuggled against him. She had never felt this peaceful, this secure before. She couldn't ask for better. She was madly in love with the man that was holding her in his arms.

"I love you, Kakashi," Asami mumbled and drifted into sleep before even hearing his response.