The new kid

Cathy walked beside her escort, slightly nervous about meeting the boy. She tugged on the sleeves of her oversized sweatshirt, pulling them over her fists.

Her escort came to a sudden halt. Almost too sudden, she nearly crashed into him. She looked at the grey door, the nameplate saying 'subject 05'

Okay, she didn't think they'd send her to his room. She'd expected to meet him in the infirmary or maybe the common room where the other kids used to meet before supper.

Taking a deep breath, she pushed open the door and gently closed it behind her.

The boy was sitting on his bed, his back facing her. He'd turned behind for a second the moment the door opened but quickly turned back even before Cathy could take in his appearance.

All she observed so far was he was thin and he had messy sandy brown hair which was very close to the colour blonde. He had a cut under his left eye and a bruise on his cheek and on on his right temple.

She slowly walked over to him.

"Hello" she sweetly greeted.

The boy only looked up at her, pressing his lips into a line and smiled ever so slightly. He had brown eyes and Cathy would be lying if she said he wasn't good looking.

"I'm Cathy" she introduced

"Denv- no I uh.." the boy fumbled before looking away and mumbling "Newt"

Cathy thought about the name they gave him. Newt? As in Issac Newton? Who else could it be besides him? None of the kids here were given random names. Each one's name cams from some great historic figure.
Like Thomas was names after Thomas Edison, Teresa was named after Mother Teresa and Cathy was named after Catherine De Medici, a French queen.

"Can I sit down?" The girl asked pointing to a spot beside him.

All the boy did was nod and scoot over.

"How old are you?" She tried to start a conversation "I'm 14"

"15" Newt simply stated.

Okay Cathy thought he doesn't talk much, does he. But I gotta say, his accent is-

"Who doesn't talk?"

Cathy rolled her eyes. She'd let Thomas in on her thoughts. Again.

"No one T-boy" Cathy spoke telepathically to him "get back to what you were doing"

"Weirdo" Thomas spoke back.

Cathy shook her head at her friend. Thomas was one of the very few people she trusted here. He was her very first fried and the two of them had gotten as close as siblings over the years. Cathy was lost in thought before realising that she was here to help Newt, not daydream of her silly, annoying friend.

"So what do-"

"Look" Newt turned toward her "I don't need anyone to keep me company right now or ever, so, no offence what so ever, but could you leave me? Please?"

Cathy only stared at him. His tone wasn't rude. He said in a sort of pleading way. Like all he needed was to be left to himself and his misery.

"Newt" Cathy calmly spoke "I'm just here to help. I understand if you're not okay with it or if you want to push people away. We've all been there but at the moment there's nothing we can do besides just, cooperate and play our part. And I know you've been through a lot and I can't promise you and tell you I'll heal you completely but I can promise you I'll try to fix you in any way I can"