Chapter 3

"Tell me how you feel at school." Jayce says as he flips the pages of one of my books. He is hanging out in my room a lot these days. I'm keeping a close eye on the strange boy too. Although he seems to be telling the truth, I can't be too sure.

He knows a lot about me. That I am sure of. At first I thought maybe he was stalking me for a long time, maybe even hacked a few systems but then I realised it just doesn't add up. For him to know the things he knows, he has to do way more than hacking systems. He has to basically do some kind of sorcery on my brain to access that type of info. Some things are locked in the midst of our brains and not on a computer system protected by a password.

I frown as I place my hair into a messy bun with loose strands falling beside my face. "What is this a shrink?" I reply while assessing myself in the mirror.

"Just answer the question, Milenna." The way my name rolls off his lips immediately make me think about his question.

"I don't know. Cautious maybe. Like I have to act a certain way so that people won't get me wrong. It's kinda like, being tested to draw conclusions from the response. It's sort of like, always being on your p's and q's." I have never thought about this before and to be honest, that's exactly how I feel. Although there aren't many cliques in our school, there are judgemental people who will want nothing but to see you fail in life. That knowledge makes me conscious of myself 24/7.

He nods, giving a hum of understanding under his breath. I take a deep breath in then turn on my heels to face him. "My turn." I state, clapping my hands twice to gain his attention. "So are you human or not because I'm kind of confused here?"

A smirk appears on his lips. "I am somewhat human." An amused smile breaks out on his face as I narrow my eyes at him.

"That doesn't give any reassurance that you're a homo sapien." I point out and he smiles.

"Why does it matter if I'm human or not?" He asks and I grab the umbrella from the floor next to the dresser.

Pointing it to his face, I ask again. "So are you, or are you not?" His grin is taking over his entire face.

"That umbrella might as well be your best friend."

"Well you might as well get used to it because if you don't answer my questions you'll get well acquainted with it." I threaten and his hands went up in defence.

"You know, the way Kolton talked about you so boringly almost made me took another career path within The Society." I give him a bland look. "But meeting you now makes me realise how entertaining you really are."

"What will be entertaining is this umbrella uniting with your face."

"Well bury me after, would you?" I glare at him.

A knock forms on my bedroom door and my eyes widen. Oh no. He lays there not moving an inch and I clap my hands three times to gain his attention. "Hide." I whisper harshly and he slowly rise from the bed. I hit him at the back of the head and point at the bathroom door. He rub his head with a grin as he back his way into the bathroom. The door opens and I smile stupidly with my hands clasp in front of me. My mom gives me a weird look as she trails in with a laundry basket.

"Well, aren't you regal." I smile again, my heart beating out of my chest. What will mom say when she learns that I have a stranger in my room. A boy at that.

"Me? Regal?" I laugh, awkwardly. "Pft, of course not."

Her mouth opens to say something then closes. I glance at the bathroom door, nervously. "I'm just going to get your laundry." I nod. She heads for the bathroom and I run quickly in front the door to block the entry. Her eyes narrow. "What did you do?" I smile, glancing around the room for any excuse. She places the laundry basket on her hip as she tries to look around me for the door knob. "Lenna, what are you hiding?"