Chapter 11

Caspien.

His name was Caspien.

As soon as the words escaped his lips last night my heart skipped a beat. It was unexpected and unlike any experience I had. It was a strange feeling that made me smile like an idiot for over an hour.

I was in a cheery mood this morning and it had nothing to do with Caspien. A small smile graced my lips as I said the name. It had everything to do with the text Dylan sent me. Apparently I was escorting him to a date today. Just thinking about it made me jubilant.

I went through my closet to choose an outfit. Ripped high waisted jeans and a crop top.

All the seniors were supposed to be gathered at the parking lot of Benji's so that we could start the game of 'Photo the Known Site'.

I walked into the kitchen with my phone clutched in my right hand. Mom was cooking breakfast when I entered. "Hello there, honey. I made pancakes." I pulled out a chair and sat at the island.

"Hi." I answered dryly. Her smile faltered.

"I have good news. Your dad is coming to visit this weekend." She seemed excited as though anticipating it all. She really knew how to spoil the mood.

"Oh, what joy that will be." I retorted sarcastically. "Let's hope his receptionist isn't sent over here on his behalf." I rolled my eyes, pouring syrup over my pancake. Literally everything was done by his employees. His receptionist. His Secretary. His Personal assistant.

"Lenna, don't act like that." My mom warned and I placed the folk beside the plate.

"I'm not hungry anymore." I said before pushing the chair back to stand. My mother remained quiet, her lips pressed into a thin line as I headed towards the front door.

I walked all the way to Benji's. The entire walk I thought about dad and the possibility of him leaving us a few months ago. I couldn't wrap my mind around it at all. How could my dad allow such a thought to inhabit his brain? How could he for one second think about leaving his family behind? Leaving me behind. Wasn't I a good kid? I got good grades. I was nice to everyone; back then at least. I followed his rules. I was a great daughter.

I didn't realise I was already at the parking lot. Keeva was the one who brought me back to reality. "Ouch! Did you just slap me?" Keeva slapped me in the face. Hard too.

I rubbed my face slowly as I glared at her. "You were leaving the realm of the mundane. I had to do something." I took in a deep breath. It was taking me so much energy to not punch Keeva in the throat. It really was.

"Hey guys!" Dylan popped up smiling. He then turned to me. "Hey Lenna." I beamed.

"Hi." I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, looked towards the ground shyly with a small smile then kicked a stone. Keeva bumped my shoulder with hers as she gave me a look. I mirrored an expression closest to confusion. "Thanks again for what happened in the library." I thanked Dylan and he nodded.

Isa leaned over to me with a smirk. "What happened in the library?" She whispered softly with a wink and I discreetly pinched her arm. She muttered an ouch before shifting a feet away from me.

"It's no problem really. I'll do it anytime." I grinned, grateful for his kindness. "So we're on the same team, right?" I nodded and Keeva narrowed her eyes at him. I gave an awkward laugh as I playfully punched her on the arm. She was being her usual self. Cautious and assertive.

"I only counted nine members on our team. Who's the last?" Isa asked with a clip board in hand. She was currently making sure that all the members of our team were here.