Chapter 19

I sat on the sofa at Keeva's house waiting for her to speak. "When I said I wasn't hiding anything, I lied." That was what she said. What could be so bad that Keeva's hand would slightly be shaking. Keeva rarely got rattled so easily. She was a tough one. So to see her so fidgety and scared, it made me worry for the girl.

"It can't be that bad." She shook her head, rubbing her hands nervously. "What didn't you tell me Keeva?" She sniffled and I frowned. This was unlike her. So Asha knew Keeva was lying to me somehow?

"You can hate me if you want, okay? I'll understand."

"Keeva, just tell me." I urged sternly and she took a deep breath.

"I've been in contact with your brother?" My mind went blank as she said the words. I was frozen in place. My brother? She had been in contact with Liam? I was staring at her blankly. Where did she see him? Wait, in contact?

"How long?" I asked and tears formed in her eyes as she looked away. I shifted on the sofa. Why was she so scared? I was sure it had been like a week she'd seen him or whatever. When Liam left, he left everyone behind.

"For a long time." She answered and my heart dropped. A long time. That was still too vague.

"Exactly how long is 'a long time'?" She looked down at her fingers. She was avoiding eye contact and she only did that when she was guilty of something big.

"Three years." She answered in a small voice and my brows furrowed. Three years? Liam left three years ago. That meant she was in contact with him the entire time. Every time I cried that he wasn't picking up his phone or he had probably changed his number she acted like she had no clue. Every time I complained about how much he didn't care because he never called, she was getting calls from him?

I sat in front my bedroom mirror as Keeva ran a brush through my long brunette hair. Isa was leaning against the dresser as she watched us. I was in a gloom today as usual. It had been two months since my brother left and there hadn't been a day where I didn't try calling him. I had a feeling he changed his number because his number couldn't be reached. "Don't look so sad." Isa said and I became even more sad.

"I just wish I had his new number. I wish I could call him. Text him. I want my brother back. Please help me find him." I voiced, tears forming in my eyes. I really missed my brother. We never fought. We never discouraged each other. I felt so lonely being here now. My brother was gone and wasn't planning on coming back and my dad hadn't been home in three weeks. My mom was beyond depressed. The light in her eyes was gone. I was definitely lonely. I wanted things to go back the way it was.

"Lenna honey, if we get his number or contact info you would definitely be the first to know. Right Keeva?" Keeva jolted, her face downcast. She gulped then cleared her throat.

"Of course you'd be the first to know." Keeva ruffled my hair and I smiled. At least I had them both. Keeva and Isa.

"We talk on the phone and we text. We've met up with each other a couple times-" So back when Isa said I would be the first person they would give his number, Keeva already had it? I now realised how strange she acted that same night after our little conversation. She definitely looked guilty that night.

"A couple times." I repeated, absentmindedly. "So you've been talking to my brother for three years and didn't tell me?" A tear slipped down her eyes and I fought the ones that surfaced in mine. "You knew how badly I wanted to see him. You knew how much I loved him and yet you meet up with him secretly."

"He made me promise not to tell you! He wanted you to forget him and all the chaos he caused before he left!"

"He's my brother! I can't forget him!" I yelled back, completely angry. She pretended so much. "He made you promise." I repeated her statement mockingly. "He still has you wrapped around his finger." I muttered and she closed her eyes, defeated. Keeva had a thing for Liam since she was fourteen. At fifteen, she really liked him and he knew it too. He got a girlfriend soon after.