Chapter 14

"Caspien, where are you taking me?" I asked as he pulled me along, a smile lingering on both our faces. We were currently making our way through the woods. I was starting to think it was Caspien's favourite place. The woods. We weren't in the same forest area as Caspien's previous base. We were in a totally different area so I was curious. "Caspien the suspense is killing me." I breathed out as my breathing came in soft pants.

"Wait a little longer, would you?" I grinned. This was no way in comparison to Dylan and I's date. Not that this was a date, anyway. The point I was trying to make was, I always knew what to expect at Benji's but running through an open forest with my hands in Caspien's was more than thrilling. I didn't know what to look out for.

Pure enthusiasm and excitement were radiating off of me. While that excitement fueled my willingness and determination, it did nothing for my aching legs and increased breathing rate.

Caspien then sharply turned, pushing me against a tree. My breath was completely snatched away as his face was literally and inch away. His gaze was down on my hands as his pointer finger gently trailed the insides of my palms. My eyes were completely fixed on him although his gaze was directed to my palm. He then intertwined our fingers slowly as if trying something new. His head tilted slightly to the side and a barely there smile graced his lips.

Butterflies formed in my stomach as each touch left a trail of electricity behind. His eyes slowly met mine. "Resting period." He whispered and I bit my bottom lip, nodding. Recognising the notion, his eyes drifted down to my lips then back up at my eyes. "Breathe." How could I breathe with you this close? My heart was beating rapidly in my chest. "Breathe." I nodded again.

My back was still pressed against the tree and his body was pressed against mine. I didn't think one could function properly when Caspien was around.

"Ready?" I nodded and he turned on his heels then took off again. My hand was firmly pressed into his. It felt so good as the wind caressed my face. Every sound of the birds chirping above us was engraved into my mind. Every rustle of the tree leaves. Every thud of our feet. Every chuckle we made. It was all engraved into my soul. I would never ever forget something like this.

We came upon a rocky hill and I frowned. "Don't tell me." I protested and he grinned, looking up at the hill.

"It's way easier coming back down, I promise."

"Yeah well, that bit of information will surely motivate me." I said sarcastically. "Let's think about going up first, yeah."

"I'll help you." Why did I trust Caspien so much? Was it because of our Society bond or was it something else? Either way, it scared me how much I trusted this guy. He actually did help me. Every step of the way. Occasionally, I would laugh at something he said. "You're obviously in serious need of a work out." He panted as he tried hauling me up the rocky hill.

"Is that your way of telling me I'm fat?" I retorted and he snorted, turning around to grin at me.

"Maybe." I squeezed his hand that was clasped in mine and he muttered and 'ouch'. "Race you the remainder of the way. The loser gets to buy the other a lunch meal." He took off towards the top and I scurried after him.

"That's not fair!" I laughed as he quickly and so efficiently made his way up the hill.

"Lenna, move those legs?!" He shouted as he started running backwards to get a look of me. "You'll miss it with that pace!" I groaned as he turned around and hurried off again. He kept turning around to cheer me on every now and then.

I honestly walked the rest of the way. I didn't want to in any way get sweaty. I hated anything remotely close to being damp and sticky. Gross. When I finally reached the top, I saw Caspien sitting on the rocky ground waiting for me.  "She survived!" He announced to no one as a grin lit up his face.