Chapter 8

"You know, my dad never called my mom on video chat last night." I voiced, picking at the strings on my sweater. Jayce and I were at his previous base. The place that once held a legend. The place that had nothing but beauty stamped all over it. We were sitting on the pier, looking out at the ocean. "She got all dressed up for nothing." He remained silent but I could see the wheels turning in his head. "He texted me at the party. Jayce, he couldn't even tell her himself." I turned to Jayce, my voice rising a little. "He couldn't tell her that he couldn't call because he was 'busy'." I made air quotes on busy. "What husband does that to his wife?" My voice was now a whisper.

"Lenna-"

"I drank so much last night because I knew how disappointed mom would feel and I myself was guilty." Jayce was paying close attention to me as I ranted. "I was guilty because I told her myself that he wouldn't call." I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, taking in a shallow breath. "You were right, Jayce. I shouldn't have said that. It only made her more sad." I had a tight grip on my sweater, my knuckles turning white.

"Come here." He stretched his hands out for a hug and my eyes narrowed at him.

"What if I don't want to?" I said, stubbornly.

"Well you don't have a choice so get over here." I glanced around the area once before walking extremely slow towards him. Right foot...left foot...right foot. When I finally met him, he pulled me into his arms. I didn't realise how much I wanted a hug until now. Jayce smelled extremely good. I wanted to bury myself into his jacket. I felt secure there. I felt like everything was going to be fine.

"Can we do this more often?" I murmured into his jacket as I tightened my arms around him.

"Well that depends on if you don't suffocate me first." He joked and I smiled. I looked up at him from my position in his arms. He was busy looking out at the ocean. He looked so handsome in that moment. "You can hug me anytime you want."

We stood there for a while. "My mom was really ticked off last night after I came back." I rested my head on his chest. "She called my dad and he called me this morning, and guess what? He made it clear that he was busy and I was getting in the way."

"I'm sure he didn't-"

"Mean it?" I finished for him. "Oh, he meant it." I pulled away, rubbing my upper arm. "You don't know Jason, Jayce. He's so obsessed with his job and the company and anything business related. I don't even think he realises how much of an asshole he's become." I paused, narrowing my eyes at Jayce who's back was completely facing me. Here I was rambling my problems to him when he obviously wasn't listening. "I'm sorry, Jayce am I boring you?" I asked, annoyed. He shifted, glancing over his shoulder for a brief second. He said nothing. "Jayce?" He never budged. So I was being ignored. Great. "Um...Jayce?" I poked him a few times in the back quickly but nothing.

The wind picked up and I shivered. A shadow fell over me and I slowly looked up at the sky. The light blue that once painted the sky was now cloaked in dark grey. My mouth opened in shock at the abrupt weather change. It was like a raging storm out there. Was Jayce seeing this? I took a slow step back as one of my worst fear was coming alive right in front my eyes.

The temperature instantly dropped and suddenly it was freezing cold to the point where ice began to form on the edges of the pier. I shook rapidly as my teeth knocked against each other and I wrapped shaky hands around myself. "I-I'm so c-cold." I stuttered as my eyes began to slow. Jayce finally whipped around as if just realising his surroundings. He raced towards me, placing his hands on both sides of my upper arms.

"We have to go. There's a storm coming in." He rushed out before pulling me towards the stoned path. My legs were freezing out. "Hurry." He urged as we made our way up the stoned steps.