Chapter Eight

Hello everyone, and welcome back to Pixel!

I don't have much to say other than I've had a lot of homework this week, and this is my note to self to write the next chapter before Saturday xD

ALSO: the recent events on Twitter concerning Bayani are not going to affect this story. Just saying ^^

Remember to follow @code_cherry on Twitter, and to vote and comment for more. Enjoy chapter eight!

J O R D A N  [ B A Y A N I ]

“Stop pacing, Jordan,” requested Dul tiredly. “It’s not doing anybody any good, and you’re just making us all more nervous.”

I halted, glancing at her. She was lounged on one of the beds with Grape occupying the opposite end, absentmindedly fiddling with a wood plank. TYBZI and H were using another bed, attempting to play tick-tack-toe with some sticks. Straub was trying to get some sleep in a bed of his own, and I didn’t know if it was working or not. It was hours past nightfall, and the exploration team hadn’t yet returned. Though we all knew they had probably taken shelter for the night and we should get some rest, we were anxious all the same. I hadn’t realized I’d begun to pace, but at Dul’s request, I sat down on an empty bed, resting my head in my hands with a loud sigh.

“Bayani.” I looked up to see Grape watching me carefully. “It’ll be alright, man. You know that Tomahawk, Graser, and Rusher are strong; they’ll make it. You’re not doing yourself any good by stressing out like this.”

“I know,” I mumbled, staring blankly at the wall. “I just keep hearing your words from that first day in my head…”

He smiled grimly. “ ‘I don’t want to know what happens if we die, so we should treat this like UHC, only it’s us against Minecraft.’ I know, Bayani. But it isn’t worth risking even more people by going out to search right now. If they’re not back by dawn, we can send out a search party. It’ll work out, dude. Trust me.”

I sighed again. “You’re right, Grape. I just can’t help it.”

He nodded, not saying anything more. And in the silence, he stiffened.

“What?” I asked, suddenly alert. 

“Shh. I hear voices,” he whispered, glancing at the door.

Everyone went quiet. Sure enough, soft voices could be heard from the entryway.

I snatched up my sword (just in case) and crept out of the bedroom with Grape just behind me. In the soft torchlight, I could just spot silhouettes in the entrance, one closing the door behind the others. One of the figures pulled out a torch, and I could see them clearly.

First my eyes fell on Rusher, who was the one holding the torch. Then I noticed Graser carrying an unconscious Tomahawk. Last my eyes met startlingly blue ones.

In seconds I had the unfamiliar person pinned against the wall by my sword. “Who are you?” I snarled. “Did you do something to Tomahawk?”

The person glared at me. “Good lord,” she exclaimed, annoyed. “Do you guys do this to every new girl you meet?” Sure enough, the voice was female.

“Bayani, stop!” Graser burst out. “She’s the one that saved Tomahawk’s life!”

I froze, turning to face Grape, who nodded slightly. I pulled away, sheathing my sword wearily. The girl eyed me carefully before turning to the rest of the group, who had emerged from the bedroom at the sudden commotion in the hall.

“You could all continue to stare at me,” she began, sweeping her gaze over the newcomers. “Or we could get your friend to a bed so the healing potion can begin its work effectively.”

Grape was the first to react. “This way,” he told her, gesturing to the room we’d come from. He led her inside, followed by Graser and Dul, who rushed forward to help him carry Tomahawk. Finally, I regained control of my muscles and stepped in after them, everyone else just behind me.

The room now bustled with activity as Graser and Dul laid Tomahawk on one of the center beds, the new girl and Grape standing on the other side. I walked over to Grape’s side.

“What happened?” Grape asked openly, crouching down by Tomahawk to get a closer look. I did the same, only to see various wounds, bound by blood-splattered leaves.

“Tomahawk didn’t return by dusk,” explained Rusher, closing the bedroom door. “Graser and I built a shelter at the rendezvous point and waited there for hours, hoping he’d show up. Then this girl,” he gestured at the new girl. “Appearing holding him, and he was just like this.”

“He was surrounded by mobs in a roofed forest,” the new girl continued quietly. “By the time I destroyed them all, he’d been hit too many times, and he fell unconscious. I managed to get him to your friends’ makeshift base, where I was promptly attacked.” She glanced at Rusher before resuming. “I was only trusted after I gave him a healing potion. He should be fine in a couple days. For now, he’s at four hearts, and shouldn’t be moved for a while.”

I stared at the girl. “You seem to know a lot about how all this works.”

She smiled bitterly. “I’ve been here awhile.” She rose from Tomahawk’s side and turned to face me. “I’ve told Graser this, and now I’m telling you.” She took a deep breath and spilled, “I can’t remember anything that happened before I came into Minecraft. I don’t know who I was, or where I was from, or even what my name was. But somehow… I know virtualization. I know Minecraft and how to survive. And I know Pixel.” She looked me in the eye, and I saw all the seriousness in her blue gaze. “I can help you.”

“And we can help you,” I found myself saying. “Find out who you are, I mean. And hopefully, you can increase our chances of survival, and maybe even getting out of here.” Grape glanced at me out of the corner of his eye, but I realized I was serious. This girl could really help our odds.

“Really?” she asked, looking surprised.

“I told you they weren’t bad people, Ash,” Graser said, coming up and placing a hand on her shoulder. Wow, they already seem to have a connection.

Grape raised an eyebrow. “Ash?”

“Yeah. That’s what I’ve been going by ever since I started here. Not that it’s mattered; I haven’t run into anybody else before tonight.” She turned back to me. “If you mean that, I’d like to take you up on your offer.” She smiled genuinely. “It would be nice to have some company for once.”

I shared a look with Grape before nodding.

Graser grinned. “Welcome to the Cube family, Ash.”

:)

QUESTION OF THE CHAPTER:

Who was the first person you watched from the Cube? I started to watch Graser's Death Swaps with Think, and he introduced me to the others c:

Vote and comment for more! Until next time!

~Cherry