Chapter Six

Hi guys! Welcome back to Pixel!

So I've had this chapter written since, like, Sunday, and I've been super excited since then to share this with you guys. It's longish (for my standards -- yay!) and super intense. It was intense writing it, too xD So the minute I finished my Biology homework I came here.

Remember to follow @code_cherry on Twitter, and to vote and comment for more longish chapters! Enjoy Chapter Six!

J U L I O  [ T O M A H A W K ]

“Yo, Straub!” I yelled across the cave. “Toss me some wood!” Both of us snickered at the comment.

“Here ya go, bud!” he called back, throwing some oak logs onto the floor and resuming his work on the far wall.

I carefully made the two-block jump from my platform and collected the wood (which I needed to finish my section of the cave wall). Using the nearby crafting table to craft some oak stairs and planks (yes, Bayani was precise), I climbed back onto the platform and quickly finished the rest of the section, stepping back to admire my work.

“Guys!” Bayani called from a different room (where he’d been working on the entryway). “The exploration team is back!”

Perfect timing. I’m itching to get some fresh air. I descended my platform and entered the front room, Straub close behind.

The current exploration team—Grape, H, and TYBZI—stood in the entryway, all looking tired but proud of themselves. Each clutched a map in their hands and a leather-bound backpack (Bayani and H’s creation) filled to the brim with resources. 

“We got a good haul,” Grape told Bayani with a smile. “Plenty of food, and there’s a field full of cows and chickens about 250 blocks South from here for when the farm is ready. We also collected enough wool for three more beds and some more wood and seeds.”

I had to agree with Grape. At the moment, we only had two beds, a limited amount of wood (since a lot of it was being used on building the cave base), and some scarce meats here and there. It would be nice to not be forced to worry about food for a while, and more places to sleep meant less people who had to use the floor. The beds we did have were lined up on the wall of one of the two finished rooms, along with a couple torches to keep it lit (hopefully soon enough we’d have glowstone). For now, we rotated shifts on the beds, the rest of us making do on the hard stone.

“Nice!” praised Bayani. “Now we just have to wait for the mining team to get back and we can rotate shifts. You five take a break for a bit,” he told us.  “I just need to polish off this entrance and I’ll join you.”

“Okay, thanks, Jordan,” replied H, and we followed him into the second complete room: the storage room. Bayani had already constructed several wooden tables around the space, as well as provided chests with signs labeling their use. The three exploration team members piled their maps into one and organized their resources into the others. Grape built the three beds, and TYBZI grabbed some coal to smelt the meat they’d acquired. Five minutes later, the bedroom had gained three beds and the furnaces (which were in the bedroom until the kitchen/living area was finished) were happily smelting beef and chicken.

It was another ten minutes before the mining team (Graser, Dul, and Rusher) returned to base. The mine was a good 50 blocks away, and they had a lot to carry. Each sported several iron ores, a couple gold ores, some coal, and lots of cobblestone in their backpacks, and Graser had one diamond in his. Bayani rejoined us just as we finished sorting their resources into furnaces and chests.

“Okay,” he announced, and Grape joined him to look at the schedule they’d made with a book and quill. “The next building team will be myself, H, and Dul. Exploration team will be Graser, Tomahawk, and Rusher. And the mining team will be Grape, Straub, and TYBZI.”

I sighed in relief. It would be good to stretch my legs for a while: I’d been on building team twice in a row, and had spent the whole day building the cave. Exploration would be a nice change.

After grabbing our empty backpacks (and filling our inventories with food, tools, and empty maps), Graser led Rusher and I out into the open. We walked about 150 blocks east before Graser stopped us.

“Time to split up and get our maps made. I’ll head towards that birch forest,” he decided, nodding in that direction. “Rusher, could you check out that lake? And Tomahawk, you take the roofed forest. Everyone good?” The two of us nodded. “Okay, then we’ll meet back here at dusk so we can return to base by nightfall.”

The roofed forest was a relief from the burning hot plains we’d been traversing through. The leaves kept me constantly shaded, and I easily collected plenty of mushrooms to make some stew. I also managed a couple pigs and chickens, though not very many.

I didn’t notice it get dark.

It was only when I heard the low moan of zombies and the clicking of skeletons that I realized I needed to head back.

I raced through the roofed forest, dodging trees, mushrooms, and mobs. It was only now that I was trying to escape it that I comprehended how large it was; I’d been running for at least 250 blocks. 

A sharp pain laced through my arm, and I tripped and fell to my knees, growling in pain. I twisted to see what had happened, and was almost sickened by the arrow sticking out of my shoulder. Gritting my teeth, I yanked it out, only to feel the nerves on my back burn like fire. Another arrow.

I’ve got to get out of here.

I tried to get to my feet, only to find that I was unable to: a baby zombie was continuously attacking me, whacking my leg over and over. I yelled and snatched my iron sword from my hotbar, slicing through it in two strokes. I glanced at my health bar.

Four hearts, and not regening, as my hunger was down.

I groped in my backpack for some food, only to hear a hiss that caused me to look up so quickly that my neck crinked.

I was surrounded my mobs, and they were all targeted on me.

Shit.

I felt lightheaded, and I could barely move my sword to block another arrow. I tried to scream, but no sound came out. My vision started to blacken, and I was in so much pain that I would’ve gladly welcomed death at that point.

I closed my eyes, waiting for that blow to come.

Instead, I heard the dying sound of zombies and skeletons being killed.

Struggling to open them again, I could barely comprehend the shape that was flying from left to right, slaying mobs that came close to me. One of the guys came to find me! But as I continued to listen, that statement seemed unlikely. The steps were light, too light to be male, and the soft grunts I heard were higher pitched than both Graser and Rusher’s voices. 

Beyond that, I didn’t know. I could feel myself losing consciousness; black spots were still dancing in my vision and I felt weak beyond repair. Suddenly I felt hands supporting me, keeping me upright.

“Hey, don’t black out on me now! You have to stay awake!”

The hands turned me gently, and a pair of unnatural ice-blue eyes met mine.

And then I was falling.

>:)

QUESTION OF THE CHAPTER:

Do you have any pets? I have three precious cats: my old man Harley, my sweet girl Ginger, and my cuddle boy Rocco <3

Vote and comment for more! Until next time!

~Cherry