Chapter Thirteen

Hello everybody, and welcome back to Pixel! c:

That plot twist last week seemed to make a lot of you go crazy... I got a new record for comments on a single chapter! Many of you (if not all) already suspect what I'm up to. If anything, this chapter should confirm it.

Anyway, after I post this chapter, I will be making "Cherry's Guide to Great Writing" public on my profile! Be sure to go check that out, as many of you said "yes" when I asked if I should publish it.

Remember to follow @code_cherry on Twitter, and to vote and comment for more. Enjoy Thirteen!

Z A C H  [ G R A S E R 1 0 ]

“No! No!

I jolted awake, almost hitting my head on the wooden bedframe. What the hell?

The whimpering continued, and I fumbled for my torch. I moved it slowly around the room, examining the sleeping figures of each of my friends before moving on.

The beam landed on Ash.

She was twitching in spasms, her eyes tightly shut and her fists clenched. Moans and whimpers escaped her lips. The sheets and blankets from her bed were on the floor beside it.

I slid quietly out of my own warm cocoon, wincing at the cold air that hit me promptly. I crept past Tomahawk and Grape to crouch down next to her, shining the torch in her face in the hopes of waking her.

“No! Leave him alone!” she gasped out, lashing out in front of her. Instinctively I jumped back, her fingers missing me by inches. 

That must be some dream.

“Please, stop!” She was crying now, tears streaming down her face, eyes still closed. “Take me instead, leave him! He’s too young!”

“Ash!” I hissed, darting forward again to hurriedly shake her shoulder. “Ash, wake up! It’s not real, wake up!”

Slowly the crying stopped, and a second later her eyelids fluttered until those ice blue eyes were reflected in torchlight.

“Graser…?” she murmured groggily. “What…?”

“You were having a bad dream. I shook you awake.”

“Oh. Thanks.” She sat up wearily, scooping her blankets off the ground.

I hesitated. “If it’s not too much to ask, what were you dreaming about? It sounded pretty bad.”

She stopped. “I don’t remember. I just feel despair, desperation, and fear. So much fear.” She moved again, rearranging her sleeping arrangements. “But it wasn’t fear for myself. It was for someone else. Someone I cared deeply about.” She shook her head, settling back down. “It actually happened, I think. I just can’t remember.” Her fist collided with the pillow. “It’s so frustrating!”

“Hey, calm down,” I soothed, rubbing her shoulder with my fingers. “If it helps, you kept saying ‘No!’ and things like ‘Take me instead!’ or ‘Leave him alone!’”

Sighing, she moved her gaze to me. “I wish I could remember, Graser. I feel like an empty shell, like half a person. Most of my life is missing to me. I just…” she groped for my hand, grasping it in her own. It was  clammy, but I didn’t mind. “I just want to know who I am.”

Sympathy flooded through me, and protectiveness surged along with it. “It’ll work out, Ash. We’ll get your memories back. Promise.”

“Graser,” she whispered, her eyes already drooping again. “You can’t promise that.”

I smiled. “But I mean it. I’ll do whatever it takes to help you find them. That you have to let me promise.”

Her lips twitched. “You’re too nice to me. I’ve only known you a week or two, and here you are, swearing things to me like I’ve known you all my life.”

I shrugged. “Who knows? Maybe you have. I feel connected to you, Ash, and…” I hesitated, running my free hand through my hair. “…well, I care about you. Is that weird? I’m sorry,” I stuttered, moving to step back, but she pulled me back down, preventing me from leaving.

“It’s okay. You mean a lot to me, too.” She rubbed her thumb in circles on my wrist. “Go to sleep, silly robot. Thanks for waking me up.”

“No problem.” I snatched up my torch (which I had dropped) and stumbled back to my own bed, almost tripping over Tomahawk’s in the process.

And I sat there in darkness, staring up at the ceiling, lost in my thoughts.

Sleep grasped me easily that night.

*Graser appreciation chapter*

So I'm assuming most of you have made the connection at this point. I'll leave you be.

QUESTION OF THE CHAPTER:

How many of you follow my Twitter? Just curious ^^ And if you do, what's your @?

Vote and comment for more! Until next chapter! (Make sure to go read my Writing Handbook as well!)

~Cherry