thirty eight

PROMS ALWAYS had that melancholic yet beautiful feeling to them. everyone seemed to be so happy, though everyone knew that this happiness would be over soon.

jaemin stood behind the snack table, trying his best to look interested and amused when in inside he's concerned about his friends still not showing up. he was stress-eating mini pizza buns when renjun finally noticed him and approached him.

"jaemin, what are you doing over here? seolmin looks really good, she did these glittery thing on her eyes, i don't know the exact name, but you know what i'm talking about right?" renjun said joyfully.
jaemin swallowed hard at the thought of it. "i'll be there in a few sec. these mini pizzas taste really good."

"please atleast go infront of her? i know you feel weird, it's weird too, i'm literally her 'date' renjun leaned over and lowered his voice. "i feel bad about it, please i know she looks too good, i'll lose my shit-" renjun interrupted jaemin and whispered. "she's literally there!"

jaemin's eyes travelled towards the direction renjun was pointing to. she wore a navy blue gown made of soft, satiny fabric, long and tight which exposed her perfectly structured collarbones and shoulders. she looked down and walked holding her dress carefully, the purple corsage on her left hand.

"see i told you! she looks really good!" renjun exclaimed and patted jaemin's back while he shoved his fifth mini pizza of the night inside his mouth. "wait did she dye her hair?" jaemin asked, his voice muffled due to the food in his mouth. "oh yeah- actually heejin dyed her hair too."

jaemin quickly looked back leaving renjun confused. "what happene- i'll murder donghyuck and jeno, why are they all coming here!" jaemin gritted his teeth. "dumbass maybe because you're standing infront of the snack table? you're not the only who gets to eat." renjun sighed.

donghyuck walked dramatically dancing to the loud obnoxious music playing in the background, almost dropping his phone. "oh damn seolmin look, they got your favourites!" hana pointed at the chocolate dipped strawberries on the other side of the table.

seolmin's expressionless face immediately turned into a happy smiley face after seeing her favourite sweet treats. she rushed to the other side forgetting about the four inch heel she's wearing. "seol, the wires!" jaemin warned her and she immediately stopped her pace and looked at him in the eyes. "thanks." she mumbled.

"talk to her.." jeno nudged and took a mini sandwich off the plate. "where did you even come from?" jaemin asked. "i was literally here the whole time, are you slow?" jeno laughed and playfully flicked jaemin's forehead.

a sparkle came into renjun's eye. "i have an idea. i'll request the dj to play a slow dance song. then, you two'll have to dance together!" jaemin looked at him dead in the eye, "she's literally your date." renjun sighed for the third time in the span of fifteen minutes. "if you don't go and at least say hi, i'll actually go tell her about your state." jaemin ran his fingers through his hair. "fine i'll go say hi."

jaemin nervously walked through the crowd and neon lights. everyone had the same glass with the same non alcoholic drink in them, jaemin assumed it tasted bad and didn't even think about taking one from the table. "hey seolmin!" renjun surprised her from the back. "oh hi..hi jaemin. you look-" she scanned him from the top to bottom, "you look great!"

seolmin was absolutely breathtaking and jaemin would have to lie when he'd say he wasn't affected by that. she was able to turn his stomach so that a thousand of butterflies inside him went crazy, to make his heart hurt in this bittersweet way. seolmin put a spell on him he couldn't escape from. or maybe he was just overly dramatic.