twenty seven

ALREADY AT 3PM, everyone in school started crowding the auditorium, running around looking for the best seats like they're going to catch the last bus of the day. the crowd were hungry for excitement after a days of votings and seeing the nominees do volunteering work in the hallways. they jostled for the best position, cheering and waiting for the winner to be announced. most of them were mostly interested in having no classes the entire day and the band performances afterwards.

seolmin took a sit on the front row. she turned her head sideways and met with jaemin's side profile, fixing his tie and past it, all the other people spanning out in her view. she turned back to face front, the stage where the choir team were practicing for the day. "i'm really nervous." jaemin said still fixing his tie, seolmin nodded and kept tapping her against the floor to do music coming from the stage. "fucking hell, i can't tie a tie!" jaemin muttered leaving the untied tie hang around his neck. he leans back on the chair and lets out an exaggerated groan.

"who even ties your tie every morning?" seolmin finally asked looking over at the boy with the navy blue tie around his neck. "my brother does it, he went to osaka with his girlfriend and some friends on friday and this is why i'm struggling."

"help me." jaemin nudges. "you're literally in the front row do you really want me to shove my face in your fucking chest right now?" she says, not looking at him. "fine.." he mutters and gazes around looking for a familiar face to help him out. jaemin quickly gets up leaving seolmin sitting alone on the not so comfortable chairs.

a speech boomed over the crowd, strident timbre of the voice, cacophony of applause and cheering, clapping, stamping of feet, palpable excitement buzzed through the charged air, infectious grins, spontaneous outpouring of emotion. jaemin was still no where to be found. the principal, who's nicknamed as "the hag" by the students is already on the stage giving long inspirational speeches.

seolmin looks back and heejin leans forward from the second row, "where's jaemin?" heejin observes the auditorium trying to look for the brunette haired boy. "i saw him with that junior chenle like five minutes ago near the lockers. he's gonna be back."

"we are going to be announcing the yearly senior school president within a few minutes. we have kang seolmin, president since the freshman year, jang hanbin and na jaemin. please a round of applause for these three who have worked so hard to make this place a better environment for us!" the principal's voice echoed through the auditorium followed by claps in the charged air.

jaemin walks slowly in the dark, making sure he doesn't trip over all the wires from the mics resting on the ground. he quickly plops down on the chair beside seolmin and mutters a yes. "where in the hell did you go?" she whispers. "well i was with the exchange student, the yearbook photographer..what's his name," seolmin interrupts him, "chenle. zhong chenle." jaemin grins. "yeah him, he was trying to take my pictures but i made a deal and said that he's gonna tie my tie and i'll let him take five pictures of me." seolmin facepalms. "so you were out there having a photoshoot?" jaemin nods.

the tension in the air gets worse and worse and seolmin could literally see jaemin's legs shaking. she rested her hand on his thighs, "i'm gonna make sure you win." she assures him. "what do you mean?" he asks her, a face of concern plastered on his face. "shut up and listen to hag." she whisper yells.

"it was a really good competition this year! a very fair one. over the past ten year the results were never this close to each other and i must say, i'm extremely impressed." seolmin felt jaemin suddenly holding her hands under the chairs. she looked over at him but his eyes are fixed on the plasma screen which is about to display the results.

"we have jang hanbin at the third position with 198 votes, na jaemin at second with 202 and kang seolmin at first with 206. congratulations kang seolmin!"

the cheers erupt like an auditory volcano. it is all quiet one second and then deafening the next, rising to a crescendo and then falling to a trickle before the same nervous tension commands silence once more in seolmin. her heart is beating fast, she honestly didn't expect it when jaemin hosted an entire field trip for them.

"congratulations! i'm so happy for you, you deserved it." jaemin laughs, showing her the most genuine angelic smile she has seen. her heart breaks into pieces when she realises how much jaemin wanted to win.

"good morning everyone and our respective teachers. i'm kang seolmin from homeroom number four. i'm really honoured to be the school president for the fourth time in a row. i would like to thank everyone who had voted for me and helped me achieve this honourable title. as much as i would like to help students and teachers in the campus i would like to focus on my studies more. so me kang seolmin is resigning and handing the title over to the person who placed second. thank you."

___

"what did you do that for?" jaemin's concerned figure pressed against the wall, the gold plated badge shinning brightly on his chest pocket. "you wanted to be one and i've been a president for like what? 4 years? isn't that enough?" she reasoned.

music played by the band fills the air without effort, like the waves filling holes in beach sand; the sound rushing in and around every person in the room. some react to the beat, others continue in chatter. "let's go the field this loud ass music is hurting my ears." seolmin says and quickly pulls jaemin by the arms before he could even reply. they walked through the crowd and his eyes met jeno's. jaemin is more than glad and thankful that jeno was the one who looked away first.

"why are we here again?" jaemin asks her when he sees seolmin brought him to the empty fields. "don't know. i don't like crowds so." she sits on the stairs and taps on the flat surface beside her, indicating him to sit aswell.

"i'm glad i resigned. i never liked being the centre of attention all of the time. i have heard weird ass rumours about me and some of them doesn't even make sense." she sighs. jaemin wraps his arms around her shoulders and shifts closer, "but you really didn't have to. i honestly feel so guilty, but i really wanna thank you. i wish we were close since freshman year." "well we're now, be happy with that." she says and looks at him. "

"my mom is gonna be really happy when she sees this." he giggles looking down at the shiny badge. "aww, but i'm scared, i'll just tell my dad that i wanna concentrate into studies more and he will bel-," jaemin cut her off, "shh you talk alot." he hushed her, before moving his finger, and pressing his hand against her cheek, giving jaemin more support to push himself towards her, and connect their lips again. the kiss was soft, gentle, slow which only lasted for a few seconds before seolmin shyly pulled away, "we're in school!" she reminded him.

"oops.." jaemin pushed himself to his feet, brushing dirt from his trousers "i'm not feeling like going inside anymore i'm gonna go home, what about you?" she stood up aswell, "me too its boring anyways. they're just covering exo songs! plus kim dabin can't sing anyways." she remarked making jaemin burst out in laughter.

seolmin slowed down her pace and jaemin jogged back to keep up with her. "what." he looked at her. "the fuck is my locker open for? i remember closing it.." she quickly jogs to her opened locker. "see if anything's missing." jaemin peeks from the back trying to help her. "wait- wait there's a letter? who even writes a letter nowadays." she laughs.

"oooh my girl out here already getting promposals! open it." jaemin jokes and encourages her to open the letter written on a page torn from the school's physics note book and 'to kang seolmin, the truth." written on the handmade envelope.

please can u guys guess
what the letter says?? im desperate
i wanna know the theories.