23

My eyes wanted to stay fixated longer on my husband. What is he doing, what is he saying and what are his intentions? Doubts seeped deeper in my heart making it ache. Despite everything I saw and heard from William, my inner feeling told me it might not be true. I had known Edmund for very long time. It is true, that he hides his feelings and is rather closed off in regards of his deepest thoughts, but he... I believe he wouldn't go so far as cheating.

The previous hunger takes control over my body and I slowly drift closer to the abundantly set table. I try to swallow the hard feeling that constricts me and makes me upset. Instead I focus on colorful fruit platter.

Strawberries, apples, pears and many exotic fruit gorge my eyes. Many of them I have never seen or tasted. I take one piece of everything and without noticing, a pleasant humming of delight escapes my lips.

For another second my eyes dart towards Edmund. The girls are still there, but a new face has appeared. Like a missing peace to my ordeal, Victoria has chosen to show up. Her smug up face has not changed. The curls of her hair cascades down on one of her shoulders seductively, while the barely purple dress expresses her innocent nature, which I hardly doubt is part of her character.

The despiteful feeling returns, slowly eating my happiness away.

Edmund face blooms in a soft smile. He takes hold of Victoria's hand and she places a soft kiss on his cheek, while her other hand traces over the edge of his jaw.

I want to look away, but at the same time see the details - know the whole story. With bitterness I force myself to stay put and wait for events to unfold.

He whispers something into her ear.

The sight of my spouse is concealed by three unknown faces of young women. All of them wear almost white dresses, their hair are the darkest shade of black and warm, brown eyes burn in timid excitement.

I take a step back, too intimidated by their brave approach. Their sweet smiles plants a new fear in my heart. All alone and unprotected, these noble ladies might hold ill intentions. At this moment I wanted to trust no one. My always kind heart has been deceived too many times. None of these people seem to be their true selves in eyes of others.

"Greetings, my queen!" Girls said one after another and bowed in unison before me.

I couldn't make myself smile or show any other emotion to properly greet my guests. I nodded.

"Let us introduce ourselves. I am Scarlet, this is my sister Margaret and my dear cousin Cristina. We are from Ashton family. I am so grateful to have a chance to finally meet our majesty." Scarlet chirped in happiness.

I was taken aback by her kind voice and bubbly nature. Her sister was a bit quieter as well as Cristina, who seemed the most reserved.

"Nice to meet you all."

"We have heard so much about you! And let me tell you something... It's like my prayers have been answered, when I wished for a better queen than that stuck up princess Maria."

"I... I am not sure what you are saying, but ... thanks... ." I felt very timid for the first time seeing nobles act so friendly and casual.

Margaret was observing me quietly with a small smile present.

"I hope we are not making you feel overwhelmed, queen Thea." She apologized.

"I am sorry, girls. I feel quite unsure. This is my first event, I don't know how to take it all in, yet. How to..."

"Queen should not apologize!" Scarlet exclaimed. "We know all about you, so don't push yourself behave the way it is supposed to be. Be yourself."

"Really? You know everything?" I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear timidly.

"Well, the basic stuff." Scarlet came closer until she reached my ear. "That you we a slave before." She whispered.

The topic of my past scared me, I was feeling uneasy to even mention such thing. Without noticing, my body had frozen in freight until Cristina spoke for the first time in my presence.

"She is rather cute." She laughed as a true young lady. "Something unseen by our previous princess."

I could see her barely holding back another laugh. Strangely I didn't feel like she was  looking down on me or made fun on my timid appearance.

I relaxed and smiled in relief. I wished this moment lasts longer. It felt like these girls are normal people, bearing the characteristics of my friends left behind, bringing back the old feeling of acceptance.

"Ahhh! Here you are!" I heard a familiar voice.

Between the girls gathered around me, Victoria's form squeezed through. She blended so we'll in a group of girls with her light colored dress and pretty face. My heart sunk in pit of my stomach from seeing her come up to me. The picture of her kissing Edmund came back to my mind. I didn't know what to do or what to say. Totally confused and unsure I waited for her next move.

"I have been looking for you everywhere. Were you hiding?"

"N...no."

"Don't tell me you still haven't learned how to talk." She expressed her annoyance. "By the way, Edmund can't join us yet. He still has lots of people to greet and such... . I will be keeping an eye for you." Victoria pulled out her fan arrogantly.

"I am not a small girl, who needs a babysitter." I said calmly, not to be visibly rude to anybody.

"I still think you need. Edmund thinks the same." She looked over the ladies beside her, who watched her with questionable gaze. "I see you have found 'friends'. Nice. At least some progress."

In my eyes none of these high born ladies were my friends yet. The Ashton sisters were nice, but that could change and my hopes for companionship would be ruined again. Too early to make such assumptions and for Victoria... . With the present distrust, I think we can never become friends. At least not until my heart is cleared of doubts.