30

A man brought me a letter today informing about the soon arrival of the Ashton family. It's been days since I have met anybody from outside. For the change of calm passing days, I was happy to see people, who in my memory promised a pleasantly spent time.

I told servants to prepare supper and thought of many ways to entertain them, but nothing particular came to my mind. I have never had guests or friends visiting me.

"Edmund? What should we do? What nobles do when they meet?"

He shrugged and continued to stare in the newspaper.

"You don't need to pretend of not knowing. You have spent all your life in the company of likes of you. I, on the other hand, am totally clueless."

"We mostly do the talking. I don't know much about girl stuff. You probably play games and talk about men." He made a funny smile.

"The only man I know is you," I said sarcastically. "Girls will be bored."

"You can always ask Victoria for advice."

In my mind, she seemed the last person I would turn for help and it wasn't said she would return the favor. She only cared about herself.

I noticed Edmund watching me over the edge of the newspaper.

"What's up with you and her? I have noticed you don't get along with my friend."

"She is odd. I don't know if I can trust her."

I was waiting for Edmund's reaction worried. My last intention was to offend him in any way suggesting his friends are not trustworthy.

"That's why I like her." My husband flashed a quick smile. "Give her a chance. You will see what she is about eventually." He made a long pause. "I hope so... ."

I couldn't get all the thoughts and memories of this woman out of my head. What I have seen and heard from others, she appears to be a different person of what Edmund is painting himself. I don't know whom to trust, who's words to believe, as my own experiences with her seem to be different. Victoria definitely is not your regular noble lady.

"I might call her anyway. It will be safer."

"Whatever."

I turned away from the piercing pale eyes of my husband. The conflicting thoughts troubled me greatly and I didn't want to bother him too much with my nonsensical doubts.

Scarlet, Margaret... I couldn't wait to meet them again. The hopes of getting a girlfriend excited me. They were around my age, over the twenties, seemed kind and friendly. The only person I had come close to call my girlfriend was Fiona. I miss her greatly and wish to see her soon.

Would Cristina come too? She was something else entirely compared to every young woman I have met. Collective, calm and with elegance and manners matching no one. Though I could say the same about Victoria, her mouth never hid her true thoughts it seemed. With her upbringing, this noble lady didn't care much about what others might think of her. But Cristina appeared to be a great example for other young women, taking a place of a role model.

Time passed quickly and soon I heard the announcement of our butler, that guests have arrived.

As I thought, the dark haired girls appeared one after another. I awaited their parents too, but they were nowhere to be seen.

"Good day, your majesty." Scarlet bowed and her friendly smile seemed to have brought the light inside.

Her shyer sister bowed as well and for my surprise, Cristina had come too.

"We send deep apologies from our parents. They couldn't join due to unexpected events."

"That's alright. Though I wished to meet them again."

In reality, I barely remembered them and I hoped to refresh my memory by seeing the parents arriving tonight, but lack of elders promised a much more relaxing time.

I guided the girls to the specially set up place in the garden, which hold a little tea house, few tables with food and drinks as well as the small patch of grass covered with a white blanket for us to bask in the late evening sun.

As we came closer I noticed Edmund waiting for us. He wore the dark pants, a white, loosely unbuttoned shirt and his hair gently swaying in the light breeze. He looked more casual, as I expected him to be for such occasion as this.

"Welcome ladies!" He said in a low, calm voice.

Our eyes met and I felt the pleasant tingling invade me. My heart fluttered, as seeing him for the first time.

It seemed he noticed my reaction when his smile grew wider and he refused to move his gaze elsewhere.

The same reaction came from girls, like a small crowd of admirers swooning over the famous man. I couldn't blame them. He was not only the king and a rich man but also very attractive. I didn't know, be grateful or vary of this unchangeable reality.

"I am so honored to meet our king as well today!" Cristina voiced her genuine surprise.

She gave her hand to Edmund in greeting manner, awaiting the soft kiss on her slim fingers, but my husband didn't seem to be willing go so far as expressing the gratitude for coming in the manner she expected. I think Cristina has been accustomed to different treatment, but Edmund chose to be rude, in a subtle way. It was nothing new to me, but nonetheless surprising seeing him interact with other women for a chance.

I could see a little disappointment in her features, but it vanished as fast as it came.

"Anybody else will be joining us?" Cristina said softly.

"Yes. One more person will come in a minute. I am sure you know her, Victoria Murray." Edmund informed confidently.