44

Seeing Maria here meant nothing but trouble. She sat before me smirking as if knowing something great I did not know about. The thought alone sent shivers down my spine. I had so many questions to why she is here with me, what are her plans, how did she know I will be going somewhere?

Maria stayed silent for so long, didn't bother me and Edmund and now I think she has come to fulfill her dirty plans. I knew for a hundred percent this was not just a simple accident of us meeting each other.

"What do you want?"

My heart was pounding, but I managed to keep my voice from wavering or sounding weak and afraid.

"It's a secret for now, but you will get to know my plans soon."

"I don't have time for your games." I was annoyed. "Leave me alone and get out, now!"

There was no reaction from her, only her smile stayed plastered on her face - sweet and deceiving.

"Coachman! Stop the carriage!"

"You are wasting your time, Thea. That man on the top is doing work for me. He is not going to listen to you." Maria paused and leaned over the window a little bit. "Keep going! Don't stop!" She said to her hired man.

I was on the brink of panic. I was all alone with this shady woman. No one was here to help me. She even managed to snatch off my trusted coachman.

Edmund?

He has no idea I am in this situation. What am I going to do?

"It's such a pain I have to do this on my own. All the help I have asked... The people have failed me, even my own father." She said calmly, in the way of telling a story all the while watching out the window on the passing dark trees. "He is such a useless man. Cannot even help his daughter to achieve her dreams. I asked him for so little... Just to distract Edmund, make his days miserable and sway all the people away from supporting him, ruin his image as well as yours. But do you know why he can't do all of that?"

I didn't want to respond to her question, but my head unwillingly moved sideways telling her 'no'.

"He is afraid of Edmund. Pathetic old man." Maria was getting angry. "Do I have to dirty my hands and do all the messy work? Off course I will do if there is no one else. That is... to end your life." She nearly snarled.

It shook my being but I wished not to show her how afraid I am. I watched her with determination in my eyes, a will to stay strong and get through this obstacle, just like I have gotten over every hardship in my life, until this very moment.

"What will you gain from it? You certainly won't get Edmund. He will never be your man, no matter how hard you try."

"Huh?"

Maria instantly got lost in her thoughts, trying to find an answer which should already be there.

"I don't care about Edmund anymore. He is a rude man, cold and a big IDIOT! He is a moran to chose you for a queen. I wanted to take that place. I wanted to be a queen since I was a child. He ruined my dreams as well as my stupid father!"

She was getting angrier and angrier every minute. I was starting to fear for my life.

"STOP THE CARRIAGE!" Maria hissed.

It came to an abrupt halt sending me into the seat next to Maria. She was swift and pushed me outside before I could get my balance back. I landed in a thick mushy puddle filled with mud. As I raised myself up I could feel my feet sink in and get wet. It was the middle of the night. No sound of any living thing was present. I could only see few moths flying blindly around the single lantern next to a coachman. Though his identity stayed hidden in the shadow of the light. Maria was menacingly looking over me, my dirty dress and the fear in my eyes with satisfaction. I could see she enjoyed every moment.

"Take an appreciation of your last moments in this life, Thea. You can't believe how happy I am to finally see you crumble, be all alone, without Edmund's help and knowledge of you being here. He will be so heartbroken losing you, thinking you left him." She was nearly laughing out loudly.

"I will not die! And I will not give up on my life. You can try hard as you want but I will come back stronger. This is nothing compared to things and hurt I have gone through. You are no obstacle for me Maria."

"Really? We will see that!"

Through the thick mud, she walked up to the carriage and took a simple-looking beam of wood. It was thicker than a stick, but not big enough to be too heavy for Maria.

I wanted to run... But where? In the forest? The plumpy dress and my feet stuck in the mud were not allowing me to move fast. Before I knew it she had come to me. Her hands were raised high up with a beam in her arms. I tried to protect myself, but the power was too strong and I felt it collide with my head.

It went dark. I felt nothing. Until I lost my senses altogether.

Shivers of cold had taken over my body. My limbs were stiff and it was hard to move. I wanted the warmth, the comfort, to be close to my beloved husband Edmund. I struggled to open my eyes, but I wished to know and see where I am. Was it a bad dream?

I gathered my strength and lifted myself up a little. Between my fingers, I could feel damp leaves and cool earth. The night was gone, but the light was still dim, looked like early dawn with a thick fog and ghostly looking trees.

The scene looked surreal, unfamiliar.

Where was I?

Am I still alive?