61

I was so happy to see my son in good health. Edmund placed him carefully in my hands. Richard seemed so tiny and fragile as a porcelain doll. I noticed his black hair which already have grown a bit and thick eyelashes inherited from my husband. I was waiting in anticipation when he will open his eyes, when I will see what everybody is talking about.

"I am so happy, Edmund!" I cried silently as I watched the little angel in my hands. I hoped he will grow up to be the one as well.

"I am happy that you are safe and well. I thought I will tear the door down hearing you scream." He gave an ironic smile. "Everybody wants to see you as well as our son. Unfortunately we had no time to greet the people in this house."

"They can come in. I am eager to see them as well."

Edmund's heavy body sat down on the bed next to me, his face turned serious, but kept the concern and kindness burning in his outwordly eyes.

"No. I told them to stay in their places and not bother you until I say so. You need to rest. I did not birth my son, but it sounded exhausting."

"Fine. You are right. Some time alone will not be a burden."

I took my eyes back to a baby who was stirring within the firm folded cocoon. His eyes slowly came open and my beating heart stopped, it felt so. His eyes... so clear and ghostly white. The faint purple tint weaved through his eyerises making him look like a being out of this world, something never seen before, magical.

"Is this how you looked like when you were little?" I giggled inwardly.

"Who knows?" Edmund responded with a faint chuckle.

"Edmund..." I gazed in his own pearly eyes, motioned him to lean closer, so close I could feel his body heat. I struggled to keep the tears of joy and fulfilment behind my lashes. "I love you... Thanks for making my dreams come true, my deepest wishes. I can't thank you enough you gifted me this life. You may not be the best man in the world, maybe you did horrible things, but deep down I know you never meant to hurt me intentionally. You allowed me to dream and in the end make my dreams come true. I don't want to think of my life...what would have happened if I was sold to someone else. I might not even be in this world anymore."

"It would break me if you were not beside me..." His stare fixated on me, so intense and burning with emotions. "Now I will have another soul who's wishes and dreams I will have to fulfill... I certainly will."

He placed a burning kiss on my lips and then on my forehead sending pleasurable tingles over my skin.

"I... you know..."

"I know, Edmund." I smiled and followed his tall form as he moved few steps aside. "You don't have to say it..."

5 years later...

Like a small child, swaying his legs back and forth, he enjoyed the calmness and solitude of this forgotten garden. It was no longer, but it still to this day served as an escape from the busy life that was unintentionally put upon both of us.

Edmund was obligated to take a role of a king, I - if I chose to stay with him, had to become a queen. Neither of us wanted this life, but there are things which are not easy to change or evade.

I have grown fond of my role. The loving family, friends and people of Hadria. They have accepted me, look up to me and await the guidance of my pure heart. They say so... I believe them.

So many things are for me to learn, change and innovate. The first thing I took my hands on was 'slavery'. Like a haunting ghost the remnants of this cruel trade and custom comes up at times, but I believe that one day there will be no traces left, no memories to haunt the tortured minds. I will erase all the traces of it, leave no place for it to exist.