24

Victoria's eyes scanned the contents of my plate with the utmost interest. 

"What are you eating there?" She fanned her face slightly.

"Nothing special, just some fruits."

I wished to hide a plate from her view, as if afraid she will devour and take them away, seeing the hunger in her eyes.

"What?" She exclaimed. "Don't tell me you are eating figs and are not going to spare some for me?"

I wanted to tell her, that there is more on the fruit platter, but it was too late, when I saw her snatch the remaining ones from my own hands. Victoria's face melted in ecstasy, after she tasted it. She stopped in mid bite, her eyes fixated on me, as if realizing something important.

"Haven't you tried to taste?"

"I wanted, but you took, what I intended to sample." I tried to mimic her cold attitude.

She straightened her neck and in swift steps walked up to the table taking a full platter of figs in her delicate hands. In no time she stood before me, the exotic fruit almost touching my nose.

"Your majesty..."

Dumbfounded by her bizarre actions, my mouth stayed half opened, the lack of words evident in my none existing  response. Her green eyes bore deeply in my blue ones with determination of her own agenda - challenging in some way.

I didn't know what to think of her at this moment.

"What is she doing here?" I heard Margaret's quiet voice. "She has some courage to show up at all."

My ears peaked up. I wanted to know and see the person, who has stirred up such surprising reaction in my guests. 

Victoria turned her face, but immediately averted her attention back to me. The platter was removed from my face, the loud clang of the metal hit the table. The next thing I noticed, were the handful of figs placed in my palms roughly and I was being dragged away to, who knows where. 

"Come and stay low." Victoria ordered me.

She seemed little bit panicked, her moves urgent. I didn't know she can move so fast in her puffed up dress and on those spoiled lady feet. We left the ball room, taking a route to a smaller hall few doorways down the corridor. My eyes lingered on disappearing people, left without my presence and with this new, unknown person who has stirred up commotion.

"Slow down Victoria." I was breathless.

She peaked through the door for the last time before shutting it completely. 

"You will be safer here." She said coldly, shaken off the nervous feeling she emitted earlier.

"Safer? From what? What is going on?" 

Edmund's dear friend stood against the door, her back protecting the exit as well as her hands clasping the handles, keeping the door locked.

"Or you wish to meet her once again? Are you brave enough to meet your rival, can you handle the drama about to unfold in front of you?"

For a second I though she has eaten something weird. I looked at the figs in my hands and gave her a questionable stare.

"Are they expired? You act so weird."

Victoria sighed annoyed.

"Maria."

That single name made my blood boil in anger and make my knees week of knowing she is here. 

"Knowing her, she wouldn't leave you be and would make sure to make this night special for you."

"And why do you care?"

"My duty is to protect the happiness of my friend."

"I don't remember us being friends."

"I am not talking about you, silly woman. Edmund. I will do anything for him. This time -  to make sure to remove you from the picture to avoid extra trouble."

'Do anything for him'. Would a simple friend go so far? Once again, I remembered the hurtful feelings she evoked, whenever I see them together. I stare at her beautiful form. The fragile shape of her body and a face of an eastern princess reminds me how beautiful she truly is. Victoria's eyes glimmer in excitement whenever she mentions my husband. No doubt, that a man in front of her would bow down just to please her noble princess's demands. Would Edmund do it too? She surely has some effect on my husband, as far as I have seen.

"What are you looking at?" She burst out, the tone of her voice suggested she felt little bit offended.

"A friend? Are you truly just a friend to Edmund?"

Victoria pouted her round cheeks in defense.

"What else could I be? If you think that...... Well.... You have got a wrong idea." 

She came closer to me, our noses almost touched. Her glare was intense and threatening. What is she going to do? Say?

"Don't you think I would have taken my chance to get hold of Edmund long ago? I knew him before Maria came in his life, before he bought you. He holds a very special place in my heart, but not the spot you think of."

"Should I really believe you?" My voice was quiet and I averted my eyes away from her green, piercing ones.

"It's up to you, what you want to believe in." She crossed her hands over her chest and walked back to the door. "And.... don't believe everything you hear. People like to gossip and make things up."

Victoria's eyebrow raised giving her extra arrogant look. She talked of friendship with Edmund with such passion and devotion, but her attitude always pointed at her cold heart.

"So it is not excluded that you tell the truth..." 

"Whatever." 

I was so confused and didn't know what to think, whom to trust. Could I even trust myself, as these negative thoughts and a sense of jealousy has invaded my heart? It is so hard to distinguish the innocent and someone ill willed in this life of a noble. Everyday is a struggle for 'survival'. Who will get me and have a chance to hurt my feelings again? This question circles my mind every time for the last few days - today.

And Maria? What is she up to? Why did she come?

And what are the true colors of Victoria?