54

Albert whispered something in Jane's ear all the while she eyed me carefully. I had no strength left to wonder what is happening nor keep my attention and eyes opened. The softness and calming fragrance of the sofa drew me deeper in slumber until I gave up. I felt so comfortable.

"Hey, my lady. You should wake up."

A soft nudge made me stir. I felt the warmth on my shoulders and the sweet aroma of herbs. The same caring voice soothed my ears.

"You should wake up. There is a long road ahead of you and there are people who are waiting for your arrival. Drink some tea."

I blinked a few times and saw a cup with a steaming cloud in Jane's hands. The thick blanket was laid on top of me, but nothing else was changed since I fell asleep last night. I could feel my body was rested enough.

"Thank you!" I welcomed the warmth of the hot tea.

"Poor thing. So tired that you weren't able to stay awake for your dinner yesterday. Drink up and I shall help you get ready. You need a bath and new clothes too."

"I am fine. I don't want to burden you."

"I have plenty of time for our majesty. You have been gone for too long."

"How do you know who I am?" I felt unsure if that was a good thing that these people recognized me. It could also mean that Maria is not done with me.

"Ahh! I remembered you from the introduction party in Agra. I was there, but I had no chance to see you directly. So many people and the top nobles got the best spots. You looked beautiful, by the way." Jane bought a plate of freshly cooked buns and some fruit.

"Oh! I remember." I sipped a mouthful.

She gazed upon me dreamingly with a soft smile and her kind eyes. Her posture was straight and she looked elegant in her rather plain purple dress. It accented her warm face.

"Our king will be so happy to see you."

Edmund! How long has it been since the last time I saw him, hold his strong hand and gazed in his majestic eyes? Tears welled up in my eyes. I missed him so much.

"How is he doing?" I managed to push the words over my lips and breaking the heart.

Her face turned grim and she carefully put her own teacup on the table.

"Your disappearance saddens him greatly. He has looked for you over the whole country, jailed many people in prison, threatened citizens just to get some information about his wife, our queen. Some people had delivered the fake news about your death, while others scammed their way just to get the reward. People slowly are starting to fear him and are considering if that was a good idea to bring back a king. We have been apart for so long that a dream of uniting seems like a fairy tale come true. Is it what we all want? We certainly do, but now when you are here, you might bring him back to senses and pull him out of the deep hole of anger and sorrow. I am happy about that because I saw how much he worried about you at the ball and he still does at this moment. You are our only savior, queen Thea."

"I am no savior. It is me who started this all. It is my fault the people are suffering and fearing him. I am so sorry, so sorry."

My heart was breaking and hurting so much. At this moment my tears were falling like hot waterfalls. I could not stop crying, I just couldn't. I have not experienced so much pain in a long time.

"No time to cry. Eat up and let's go. There is no time to waist." Her voice was rather cheerful, but I could not get my own feelings up.

Jane forced me to fill my stomach full, gave a dress, which was one of her own. It was pale with a hint of sky blue fitting me perfectly, plain, like all the others she owned, but that fact made her look even more elegant. It surely made me too. Albert prepared the single horse carriage and they both rushed me to take a seat. Despite everything I was still tired, but the thought of uniting with Edmund kept me awake until my body gave up once again.

When I woke up I could see the lavishly decorated streets of Agra. I spring up in a sitting position and gasped for the air. My heart was beating erratically in anticipation for what is about to come.

People walked the streets not knowing anything about my arrival, doing their daily tasks. It was better this way. I wished no one to disturb me and Edmund.

"Did you sleep well, Thea?"

I looked up at Jane. She seemed as fresh as ever. Even the long road didn't seem to affect her, the brightness on her face could rival the summer sun.

"What business do you have here?" A low voice addressed Albert who was leading a carriage.

The tall facade of the castle gate suggested they might be guards.

"We have the queen. We wish to see a king, Edmund." Albert's stern voice rivaled one of the guards.

One of them came up to my door and peeked inside. His face expression changed to a shocked one as soon as he laid eyes on me.

"Let them in!" He shouted in a hurry.

Before shutting the door he bowed deeply and his eyes showed the most respect.

I could not sit still at this moment anymore. The longing, excitement and all kind of other emotions brew inside of my head and heart. I was waiting for this day to come for so long.

"Edmund!" I whispered to myself as we hurried deeper in the garden of a castle.

Upon exiting my legs felt wobbly, but luckily the guard caught me in time. He seemed excited as everyone else, the gleam in his eyes could not be masked by anything, not even his stoic will and composure. I smiled at him nervously.

"I am sorry, ..." We stayed silent for the moment. Never I took a moment to talk with any of our guards.

"Richard... My name is Richard, your majesty."

Unnoticeably he helped me move forward through the halls of a castle. I eyed him and I could not get a thought out of my mind. Could he be Richard? Richard...

We stopped at the entrance to the throne room. I remember none of us used it. I certainly did not. Would Edmund?

Richard opened it.

"What it is you want!" A rumbling voice of Edmund shattered the silence as well as my heart. It sounded cold and devoid of any emotion, maybe an annoyance seeped through the tone of it.

"I am sorry to disturb you, my king, but our long lost queen has arrived." Said, Richard.

He opened both doors and left me standing in the middle.

My heart stopped with what I saw in the far end.

Edmund was sitting in the throne, his posture leaned casually over the chair. He watched us with a scrutinizingly judging stare while one of his hands supported his chin. The darkness and anger filled frustration clouded his usually light-colored eyes.

"Edmund? ..." My voice sounded unsure. It seemed he has not registered yet of who he is facing - his own long lost wife.

His hand fell down by his side and he stirred. As he stood up from his throne, Edmund's steps seemed unsure, unstable, ready to lose the ground under his tall form. Slowly he walked over me, the face expression not changing a bit, the same judging stare, keeping me fixated and afraid all of a sudden. What has happened to him? Does he recognize me?

Edmund looked me over and then in my tear and fear-filled eyes. It felt like he has left this world, just an empty shell stood before me in silence.

"Thea..." He whispered.

And then just like a dark and menacing boulder of rock, he collapsed on my shoulders. Seemed as if the deathly coils of a snake wrapped around my body denying the air and precious life for which I hold on so long. I was ready to give it to him, succumb to his power to never be split apart again.

"Thea... Where were you?" His form was slowly starting to shake and I felt the hot tears of his suffering fall on my shoulder.

My heart relaxed and I gave up to my emotions.