Chapter 20

The mood in the room was morose. The oncologist gave the results for the PET scan. Tala’s fate hasn’t changed. Jake and her parents were expecting a miracle of some sort.

            “I don’t even get it why you asked for that test when we all know that the result will be the same” was Tala’s comment.

            “If we started your treatment the result could have been better” her father replied.

            “I know where this conversation is going” she sighed extremely exasperated.

            “Mallory please” her mother begged as she held her hands.

            “I’m not changing my mind” she insisted.

            “Mallory…” the doctor looked at her with kind eyes.

            “I want to be discharged already” she didn’t give the old man the chance to finish what he was about to say. The oncologist looked at her parents. “I’m the patient. I know what’s best for me” she added.

            “Do you?” Jake asked. He was upset.

            “Jacob please don’t start” she begged. He kept silent. She looked at her father, “Dad, please I want to go out of this place already”.

            “Okay” he agreed then he nodded at the doctor.

 ==

            “I’m going home” Tala announced as she got out of the bed.

            “You’re not sleeping here?” Jake asked pretty surprised.

            “Finally you’re talking to me!” she sarcastically exclaimed.

            “Tala, what do you want me to say?” he asked. He was furious.

            “That you respect my decision!” she answered. She was furious too.

            “Respect your decision that you just want to die without fighting?” he looked at her.