chapter 83

CHAPTER EIGHTY THREE
Ishita and Raman's drive to the Khans was an unusually quiet one and Raman could sense that his wife was really tensed about the whole ordeal. She hadn't seen or talked to her biological father since they left the hospital and she was still skeptical about the whole situation.
She knew that Raman was right and she needed to let go of all this anger that had been harboring inside her for so long. She needed to do this for herself more than anything else. He finally made it to the parking lot and he could see so many people had already arrived given the number of cars in that parking lot.
'Ishu...'' He called causing her to turn and look at him and he could see the worry in his eyes
'Yeah...'' She answered
'Are you okay? You don't have to do this you know...'' He said
'No... I want to... I am just... I just need a minute...'' she said as she took a deep breath
Raman sat back and waited giving her all the time she needed to make sure she was ready to go through with this.
Meanwhile back inside Ishana waited impatiently as she kept on staring at the door hoping and begging God that Ishita did show up. She saw Adi and Ruhi walk in and she hoped that Ishita followed suit but only Romi walked in. She walked up to them and thanked them for coming as she politely led them to the living room where it was all taking place.
The speeches and fundraising were done while all the while Ishita was still in the car with Raman. Any other person would have hurried her and asked her to just walk in but Raman knew how to be patient with her and understood that she needed to do this in her own time.
'Let's go...'' she finally managed to say
'Go home or go in...'' he asked
'In... Let's go in...'' she said
'Are you sure...'' he asked
She hesitated a little before she nodded in the affirmative.
They got down from the car and slowly made their way inside all oblivious to the prying eyes that were hidden in the shadows. As she made her way inside, Ishana saw her first and made her say to where Ishita and Raman were standing
'I can't believe you came...'' she said but Ishita just smiled
'Here let me get papa he is around here somewhere...'' Said an excited Ishana as she walked away
She made a few steps forward before she came back and put her hands around Ishita hugging her as she whispered in her ear,
'Thank you for coming...''  Before she let off and walked away
Raman tried to take a step back and give her some space but she wouldn't let him. She grabbed his hand saying
'Please don't leave...'' she said
Ishita was worried for so many reasons, when she walked in there were so many people in that place than she even anticipated and she had an uneasy feeling about the whole thing. She put it off as nerves given the situation but as she would later find out, it was much worse than that.

Raman had some associates that were around and so he took Ishita's hand and introduced her to everyone he knew. This was something that he didn't get to do very often and he loved it every time he did. He felt proud to tell the world that she was his wife and he her husband. This went on for a while until Mr. Khan came walking in with Ishana and his wife by his side.  People kept on stopping him along the way as he made his way to where she was and out of politeness he stayed and said his hellos but all the while his attention was on his daughter whom he couldn't believe was standing in his house. He finally managed to make it to where she and Raman were standing and God knows it took everything in him not to just put his arms around her and hug her but he knew better.
He understood that this is a process that had to be gradual and was going to take a lot of work and time
'Hey...'' He said
'Hey...'' She answered
They stayed staring at each other both not sure what to say exactly which made the whole situation awkward. Raman turned a little smiling because he knew full well there was no was in hell she was going to make it easy for them and from the way Mr. Khan was sweating a little, it was evident. He tried to excuse himself and walk away but she held his hand holding him back. She squeezed his hand so hard and he understood she was more nervous than she was leading on.
'Uhhh thank you for coming...'' Said Ishana as she tried to make light of the situation
Rajeev and his wife who was awfully quiet just stayed looking at her and didn't say anything
'Yeah we are grateful that you' finally decided to meet us...'' Said Rajeev's mother as she made her way to where they were standing
'I didn't come for you. I came for them...'' Said Ishita as he pointed to her kids who were playing with their friends
'Ishi...'' Murmured Raman under his breath causing her to back track
'And for the event as well...'' she added
Mrs. Khan looked at her and understood that the comment was in fact meant for her and it was also well deserved, so she took it on the chin and let go.
'Well... Either way... I am grateful...'' She said