Chapter 18- It's Nothing

Chelsea's POV

"Where have you been? We've been calling you all day, trying to get ahold of you! We've left you voicemails and texts. Did you not bother to listen to them or read them? They're all about your daughter!" I shout. I can tell she was surprised to see my face, and now she's even more surprised that I'm yelling at her. This is wrong, I know, to disrespect an adult in their own house, but this is also ridiculous and unacceptable. She couldn't pick up one phone call? She couldn't read one text?

I feel a hand grab onto mine and pull me back from the lady who towers over me in heels. "Calm down, Chels," my brother warns me.

"How can I be calm? My best friend has been tossing up her insides all day and we were the ones who had to take care of her. Her mom didn't even care enough to pick up one damn phone call!" I turn back around to face the woman who I'm pissed at. The woman who is supposed to care about my best friend as much as I do, even more. I get annoyed when she doesn't open her mouth to speak. She just stares at me with a blank expression, no signs of remorse anywhere on her face. "Well say something!"

"You will not yell at me in my own home!" Her voice is louder than mine as she steps closer to me, the smell of some sort of liquor on her breath.

Luke pulls me back to stand behind him. "Mrs. Taghi, I'm sorry for Chelsea's rudeness," he apologizes and I roll my eyes. "It's just that Tina has a really bad stomach virus and we've been trying to let you know so you could come home and take care of her-"

"You look like you've got it under control," she crosses her arms.

"Well yes but-"

"I really don't see the problem. It's not like she's been alone. She's fine."

"You know that now," I pipe up again. "But you couldn't be so bothered as to answer a simple phone call so you couldn't have known whether she was fine or not just ten minutes ago." My voice is much lower now, but the venom is still clear in my tone.

She just rolls her eyes at me and I shake my head in disbelief. She didn't used to be like this.

"You don't even care, do you?" Cameron appears from behind us with his mom.

"What the hell are you doing here?" she spits.

"The same thing the rest of us are doing here. To do your job," I fire at her, taking a step closer, only to be pulled back again.

"I didn't ask you to do anything, did I? No. I don't want or need this boy in my house, especially since he's no good for my daughter," she seethes through her teeth. She doesn't seem to acknowledge Mrs. Dallas's presence.

This woman infuriates me so much that I wouldn't be surprised if steam was coming out of my ears.

How can she care more about who her daughter dates- who is an amazing person- more than her health?

Before I can say anything, Cameron speaks. "What I'm doing here isn't important right now. What's important is your daughter who is so sick and weak that she can barely speak or lift a finger. You should be worrying if she's okay, not arguing with us!" His mom doesn't stop him from raising his voice at the woman.

"Like I said, it seems like you've got it under control."

"That's not the point," we all creepily say at the same time.

"Look, I'm sorry, okay? Is that what you wanted to hear?"

"We're not the ones you should be apologizing to," Cameron says.

She sighs. "Where is she then?"

"She's asleep right now. She'll probably be up soon, though."

"I'll apologize in the morning. I'm going to sleep right now," she says, walking towards the stairs. "And turn the heat up, it's freezing in here."