Chapter 17- Stomach Virus

Chelsea's POV

"Luke, what's the answer to number sixteen?" I ask my brother who's sitting in front of me.

"I don't know, I'm not there yet," he responds.

"What did you get?" I ask Tina, poking her in the arm.

After a few seconds of not answering, I figure she doesn't know the answer, but she doesn't even turn to look at me.

"I'm guessing you don't know the answer?"

No response. She again doesn't even turn to look at me.

"Are you mad at me or something?"

Again, no response.

"Tina?" I shake her arm gently but she doesn't even react.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

This gets Luke's attention and he turns around to face us.

"What's wrong with her?" he asks me.

"I don't know." I'm starting to get a little worried. She's not moving at all.

Luke's hand moves to sweep the hair out of her face so we can look at her, but before he can touch her she jolts up and rushes out of the room.

"Tina! Get back here," Ms. Sullivan shouts.

I abruptly stand up and dash out of the room behind my best friend, ignoring the protests coming from our math teacher. By the ongoing faint shouts of Ms. Sullivan and the sound of footsteps following me, I figure that Luke is running after us as well.

Tina runs into the bathroom and I follow behind her, Luke stopping right outside the door.

"I'll just wait out here for you guys!" I hear him call to us.

I turn around and see Tina hunched over, gripping the large sides of the trash can with her small hands. After seeing the gross liquid substance leave her mouth, I quickly make my way to her side, grasping her long brown curls in my left hand and rubbing soothing circles on her back with the other.

She tosses up some vomit a couple more times before a groan escapes her mouth and she lets her legs give out from under herself.

"Chelsea? What was that sound? Is she okay?" Luke yells, worry clear in his tone.

"I don't know!" I shriek.

Tina looks terrible. The color is absolutely drained from her face and she looks so weak and limp.

I cringe as she doubles over and let's out a horrifying gag without anything falling out of her mouth. Her hand flies to her stomach as her eyes shut tight and water runs down her cheeks. A soft whimper rolls off her lips.

"Luke!" I call and he enters immediately, not caring that it's the girl's bathroom. His expression turns from confused to horrified when he sees the state that Tina's in. "You take her to the nurse and I'll go get our stuff," I instruct.

He nods and doesn't waste any time going to pick her up gently and heading out the door.

My hand flies up to the necklace hanging loosely around my neck and my I start to fiddle with the charm between my fingers as a nervous habit I've always had.

Once the three bags are all packed up, I walk out the door and to the nurse's office after explaining to Chad and Ms. Sullivan what's going on.

"Should we call her mom?" I ask Luke when I enter the small room with four uncomfortable beds lined up beside one another.