Chapter 22: Finding Josh

You sucked in a breath when you heard a shout. It was definitely Josh. You gestured for Sam and Mike to follow you. The three of you leaned to see through the gaps in the wooden wall, more like a series of wooden planks, next to you.

You frowned as you saw Josh screaming at the air like a lunatic. You only hoped that he could recover from this. You walked around the wall and towards Josh, the others following close behind.

"Josh!" You called out to him. He looked in your direction but he seemed to be looking through you rather than at you. You tried to snap him out of whatever trance he was in but he just kept on screaming.

"You're not real!"

You felt tears roll down your face. It pained you so much to see one of your closest friends in such a state.

"Josh, please. It's me, Y/N! I came to help you. I never gave up on you. Please!" You grabbed his shoulders and shook him a bit, hoping to stop this insanity, but he just screamed louder. "Please..." You whispered, falling to your knees in front of him.

Finally, Mike walked over and slapped him back to reality. Josh jumped and looked around. He was still shaking violently, but he at least stopped hallucinating. His eyes widened when he saw you on the ground crying.

"Mike!" Sam yelled. She pulled you to your feet and glared at Mike.

"What? It worked didn't it?" He asked before turning to Josh. "Hey Josh, you okay buddy?"

"Please don't hit me again," Josh whimpered. Mike just lightly patted his back and nodded. You slowly made your way over to Josh. He gave you a small, pained smile.

"Hey, gal pal," He whispered.

"God, you're a dork," You whispered back and pulled him into a hug. You didn't hug him to tightly. You didn't want to overwhelm him. He let out a soft, broken laugh. He wrapped his arms around you and buried his face in your shoulder.

When you finally separated, Mike spoke up. "We need to get out of here. Now. Josh, do you have the keys to the cable car?" Josh nodded. "Good. Let's go."

Mike gave you a smile that almost made you feel as if things were back to the way they were before. Before all the crazy shit started happening. You let yourself hope for a minute that you would all get out of this unscathed.

"Well, what are we waiting for?" You asked before helping Josh, leading him back to the room you were once in. Mike and Sam were right behind you. You felt their presence and a forgotten feeling washed over you for a moment. Comfort.

Finding Josh may have been a roller coaster ride, but it left you with the greatest friends you could ever imagine, old and new. Finding Josh gave you a sense of peace and for a second, everything felt just fine.