12: 𝕯𝖆𝖓𝖈𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝕹' 𝕾𝖎𝖓𝖘

"What's going on?" Mateo stepped out at the same time Veronica had

"What's going on?" Mateo stepped out at the same time Veronica had. There was an older man in a suit scribbling down some notes, before his mom and the man faced the two. He held back the rolling of his eyes, as he already had a clue who this man was. Most likely the lawyer who would play up his father to the judge and get him leniency.

"Veronica, Mateo, this is Paul Sowerberry, your father's attorney. He's here to prep us for our statements and help at your dad's hearing." She smiled as the lawyer smiled at the two.

"Except, I told you, Mom, I'm not giving one. Not one you'd want."

"And I thought I made it perfectly clear what my intentions were, mom" Mateo glared at the lawyer ready to head out with Veronica and instead felt himself tugged back. Sighing, he glanced at the lawyer who turned to the two. He wondered how much was his father paying this man to essentially lie to court.

  "You won't be asked any questions about your father's business arrangements. We just need you two and your mother to speak to his character. It'll humanize him. Which could mean a lesser sentence.
If you don't make a statement, well, that's problematic and damaging." The lawyer spoke, standing up trying to ease them into the idea.

"I've already told them all of this." His mom sighed as she saw the stubbornness of her two children. Veronica and Mateo had taken after the two.  Stubborn and determined. Yet in cases like these, those exact traits backfired on her.

"Well, Dad made his bed. And we're late for school." Mateo pulled away as Veronica followed leaving the lawyer with their mother. Hopefully he would be gone by the time they got home.

  ♥ ♥ ♥

"Veronica, Mateo, there's something we need to talk to you about." Betty spoke as the two were sitting in the student lounge room. Archie seemed involved in the conversation and while usually annoying the ginger was fun, the confrontation had already ruined his mood.

"Bring it. After the morning we've had, we're ready for just about anything." Veronica sighed placing her coffee on the table as Betty nodded before glancing at Archie. A silent argument between the two was apparent until Mateo spoke up.

"Alright spit it out" His impatience was consuming him. Of course his father would buy his way out and send a lawyer to spin his web of lies into kind stories.

"Okay, well, Archie was with the Blossoms. While their Board was in town, he, um...Why don't you tell her? You were there." Betty played with her fingers as the twins looked on in concern. Betty wasn't one for being nervous to tell them things.

"Why is this suddenly feeling like a friendtervention?" Veronica glanced between the two as Betty turned to Archie.

"I overheard Mr.Blossom say he's the one responsible for your dad being arrested and put in jail." The twins both stayed still before Veronica spoke.