18: 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕿𝖆𝖘𝖙𝖊 𝖔𝖋 𝕸𝖆𝖕𝖑𝖊

"Oh, I can take that in to Daddy

"Oh, I can take that in to Daddy. I wanna ask him something, anyway." Veronica's voice filled the room as his mother walked with a small cup of coffee.

"Your father and I have business to discuss. You know the rules about his study." She held off on giving her the cup as Mateo scoffed, still not bothering to look up from his phone. Wherever they lived, there was a study. It was protected and neither he or Veronica could enter. He had entered once when he was younger and that just earned him a bunch of screaming.

"Mom, those were the old rules." Now his interest was piqued. What were the old rules? And what were the new rules then?

"Which still apply, Veronica." The door of the study opening and closing just as quickly with Hiram stepping out.

"I thought I heard my two palomitas out here chirping. Is that my café con leche? Thank you, corazón." He gave Hermione a smile as Veronica instantly perked up.

"Daddy, tonight's the season premiere of The Matchlerette. I would love to have my friends over to watch." She tested the water as he listened.

"Who exactly are these friends?" Obviously concerned at having any potential peeping Toms. Wouldn't want any leaks for whatever "business" plans he was up to.

"Inner circle only." Veronica quickly reassured him as Mateo placed his phone away to take in the interaction. His father had shown no interest in any of Veronica's friends in New York not unless their parents were rich and could benefit him. "Hmm."

"You can watch with us. They're dying to meet you." She quickly offered. Smart but their father wouldn't sit down to actually watch a show with them. It's always business with him.

"Of course they're welcome to come over, mija." Mateo scoffed as Veronica happily kissed his cheek, "Thank you, Daddy." With that she went off to her room to grab her bag. Following he grabbed his duffel bag and the two left, unaware of the buzz in Riverdale High.

                        ♥ ♥ ♥

"It was full-on Carrie." Kevin shook his head before waving his arms in front of his body while he spoke, "Midge covered in Moose's blood, screaming like a banshee. It was insane."

"Kev, what were you even doing there? You could've been shot, too." Archie joined the conversation as practice had been cancelled. Had Mateo been closer to Moose maybe he would have considered showing up to the hospital. But since he wasn't, he wasn't going to awkwardly show up and stand in his room.

"I was just night-jogging you know, as one does, and suddenly, I hear gunshots." The group sat around Kevin as he tried to defend himself.

"Can we at least agree now that there's a killer on the loose?" He glanced between everyone before Jughead spoke,"With terrible aim."