14: 𝕿𝖗𝖚𝖙𝖍 𝕮𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖘 𝕿𝖔 𝕷𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙

"Mom? What are you looking for?" Mateo leaned on the chair as he stared at his phone

"Our passports." Hermione rummaged through the drawers as she moved to the next.

"Why?" He asked not bothering to look away as he waited for any notification from his phone.

"Because Lord knows what FP is going to say, now that he's behind bars." Hermione mulled as she opened another drawer.

"So, you do think Daddy hired him to kill Jason?" Veronica asked not really wanting to know the answer to that question.

"Honey, I don't know. But, regardless of that, we are known associates of the man who killed Jason Blossom. Your father may have had something to do with that. Maybe not. But either way, we need to be ready." She spoke as she ran her hands through her hair trying to remember the location of the passports.

"Ready to do what? Run away? Like we ran away from New York?" Mateo finally looked up as she dug around. Riverdale was his home now and now he might have to give it up because of his father. Why couldn't have Hiram Lodge been a honest business man but in today's society no one was honest.

"We're gonna look guilty!" Veronica shouted as she looked at her mom in disbelief.

"Baby, we are guilty! I'm guilty. I bribed the Mayor to get the drive-in land, forged your signature, paid off the Serpents. If that comes out, just...Pack a bag, okay? Just in case." She sighed as she retreated into the next room.

The two glanced at each other in worry as they both sighed and left to their rooms. Both uneasy of what was to come.

                                           ♥ ♥ ♥

"The police report said FP worked alone." Betty mulled as she flipped the newspapers pages. Sighing, Mateo glanced across the cafeteria where Cheryl was. It seemed any time he tried to talk to her, she was surrounded by people saying their condolences. Even now, she had a table that was surrounding her.

"No mention of your dad, Ronnie." Archie pointed out as he scooped his fruit. "That's good news, right?"

"I can't stop thinking that...Maybe my dad hired another Serpent to plant that gun." Veronica fidgeted as Mateo rolled his eyes. While he would love nothing more for his father to be out their lives, he doubted Hiram had anything to do with Jason Blossom. He hoped.

"It's surreal, isn't it? How's Jughead doing?" Kevin sat down with his lunch tray as Betty continued to flip through the newspaper.

"Not good." She stated as Archie spoke, "He's not coming in today. He's at the station."

"Being grilled by your dad." Veronica pointed out as she played with her food.

"Who's just doing his job. I mean, of course he's gonna ask Jughead questions." Kevin defended his dad against his friends who knew he was right.